Adjusting steering box..

SteeevO

today at work i ran accross a magazine article that began talking about adjusting your steering box when it loosens up then went into rebuilding the box.. the thing that caught my eye was the adjustment.. i know my box isn't out but it's getting lots of play in it... i doubt it was ever adjusted..

so i was looking in the FSM and i wasn't understaning the measurment that are used to properly adjust this thing...

has anyone adjusted thier power steering box before??

i can give specifi examples of what the FSM is saying if needed.

thanks for the help.

you can "tighten" up your steering via a la adjusting screw. It's flathead screw you adjust. It takes small increments so don't over do it or else you'll wear out the gear, IIRC. You'll have to loosen the screw with a wrench, and then get your flathead and adjust.

what you you mean by preload from the screw?

do not tighten the screw whatsoever. There are balls inside that roll around; they need to do so freely. Also, there will always be some freeplay with this type of steering.

Update: According to the '94 FSM, the worm gear (shaft that connects to the pitman arm) should turn with 6.1-7.8 inlbs. with the steering box removed. Assuming you are not going to do this, the next best thing would be to remove the pitman arm and steering shaft coupler. Better yet, if you don't have excessive steering wheel play, leave it alone. ;)

Edited by Animal