Front End Alignment

Pathfinder_Rookie

Just curious to know if there is anyway to do my own front end alignment. (’97 SE). I was planning to just take it to the shop but none of them will do it with the 2” lift im going to be installing. Well I did find one place but their quote is $160, if everything goes good, not willing to pay that since the going rate for a 4WD alignment here is about $50-$60. What can be done?

P Rookie

I can do it in the driveway on my 94 but they are totally different, still have tire rods etc., id have a shop do it. Driveway alignments are really only used in an emergancy and you really have to know what youre doing to do it, ive got it dead on once or twice but ive also made things worse.

Will the driveway and string alignment still be accurate once you put in a suspension lift?

When you put bigger coils in the rear the axle shifts toward the passenger side a little (unless you've also fabbed a panhard rod drop bracket) and since you're using the sidewalls of the rear tires to align the fronts, wouldn't it be off too much to use as a reliable reference point?

Still prolly good enough to get you down the road, but I've heared of people using that method as their only alignment.

Just wondering.

Edited by jj big shoe

Guest EDMONTON PATHFINDER

For one, Dont use your sideway as a reference.

1. Put a nail though a piece of wood so the sharp end sticks out

2. jack up truck

3. put the piece of wood on the ground in front of wheel and nail touching the tire

4. Roll the tire by hand so there is a mark on the tire. If you do this right there will be a line going down the center of the tire. Do it to both front tires.

Now you have a reference that should be true and just use a tape measure.

We have been doing this with semi trucks for years in our shop and most of the time its pretty damn good.

The toe in should be about 1/16 - 2/16 in on the front.

Hope this helps