Rebuilt auto tranny sourcing suggestions?

MaximumHP

well, unfortunately this last weekend my auto tranny bit the dust on my 91. It's still shifting, but very erratically. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to who I might be able to order a rebuilt tranny from. I just don't feel comfortable buying a junk yard unit. My other option is a local shop, but I'd only do that if I get some kind of warranty. Normally I might attempt to change it myself, but I'm in the middle of moving and need the damn thing to pull the trailer and load up crap to the new place.

get on Ebay and find phoenix remanufactured transmissions. I just laid down 1500 on one of their units $825 for tranny, $350 core charge (send your old one back) and $300 for shipping which covers both ways. you"ll get a brand-new (sorta) unit, all key electrical, a TC, and pan.

usually ships within 5 days

Sounds like you sheared a bushing or two. my pathy did the exact same thing yours did before i lost every gear but first and reverse.....have fun, changing a tranny is a PITA, still working on mine

EL P :aok:

Alright, thanks. I did see phoenix on ebay too. Just wondered if they were any good or not. Sounds like they are. The only thing I like about local shops is that I get a warranty, possibly a lifetime, so I never need to worry about it again. The bad news is I'd be looking at probably over $2500 on a truck I paid $1000 for. So really a phoenix unit runs a little over 1100 bucks all said and done. Guess that ain't too bad.

I haven't searched yet, but is there a summary on key points for a tranny change. I'm not so worried about doing it, but more how much time it would take me.

Guest 91Pathfinder

You should be able to get a full clutch/gasket kit from transtar, and if you have never overhauled a transmission, you can get a tranny manual from them for your specifiy tranny with illustrations and procedures, end play tolerances and other specs. the last thing you want to do is screw up your tranny.