3.0L Performance Upgrades

hookemdevils22

I've been looking on 4x4parts.com, and I found some performance upgrades for my 94 XE 3.0L with an auto trans and 2WD. I know that manufacturers claim 10-15% hp gain with headers, ecu upgrades, intakes, etc., and I've witnessed performance gains from similar products on other vehicles. But I'd like to get some feedback on the products offered for the 3.0L, specifically trucks similar to my 94.

How well do the headers work, and how was the installation? I'm pretty good with a wrench, but does it take extensive disassembly to get to the manifolds? Also, I've been told the Thorley's are the best. However, the ones listed for 90-95s with AT don't have a name with them. And they say 4WD. Will these work with 2WD trucks?

Speaking of which, how are the cat-back exhaust systems? I'm used to American Muscle, and I know the rumble of a V6 won't sound nearly as good; but do they sound decent, and how is the installation?

Has anyone purchased the ECUs listed on the site? How do the power control modules work vs. the full computer upgrade? Are they worth the money?

Finally, does anyone have input regarding air intakes? I couldn't find one, but I was planning on fabbing one up anyway. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for the input.

T Rev

I know that manufacturers claim 10-15% hp gain with headers, ecu upgrades, intakes, etc.,

Going bang for buck, get Thorly headers, put in a full exhaust (magnaflow and flow master are the favorites) with a high flow cat. Intake, either go with a snorkel or increase the stock box air intake depending on usage or $. Leave the ECU for last, especially if you have to pass smog or like gas milage. MSD ignition is also recommended along with keeping the truck in good tune, electric fan swap, cleaning the MAF and making sure the O2 sensor is functioning properly. There is plenty of info on all of this via the search function. ;)

B