Few issues with my 91 Pathy

pathfindervirgin

My battery light is comeing on, seems to be vibration related. I have had the alternator tested, works fine, battery is good. I was thinking bad ground. Would that also cause a decrease in head light strength. Seems my headlights are not as bright as they could/should be. How hard is it to install a steering dampener? My steering seems a little loose when off road, I was told to check all the steering components to ensure they are all tight. What are some of the key areas to check for the steering? What would it feel like if the tranny was stuck in 4 hi range?? I am having a clunking noise coming from the rear end during moderate to heavy acceleration.

Thanks for your input.

My battery light is comeing on, seems to be vibration related. I have had the alternator tested, works fine, battery is good. I was thinking bad ground. Would that also cause a decrease in head light strength. Seems my headlights are not as bright as they could/should be.

Could be bad connectors at the batt. or multiple other things, unfortunately your going to have to start trouble-shooting that piece by piece.

How hard is it to install a steering dampener? My steering seems a little loose when off road, I was told to check all the steering components to ensure they are all tight. What are some of the key areas to check for the steering?

Pay close attention to the idler arm and centerlink.

I am having a clunking noise coming from the rear end during moderate to heavy acceleration.

That seems to be a very common problem, I will be trouble-shooting mine later this week.

How hard is it to install a steering dampener?

Pretty easy. Just get a Rancho mounting kit and it'll have instructions.

My steering seems a little loose when off road, I was told to check all the steering components to ensure they are all tight. What are some of the key areas to check for the steering?

It's prolly the dreaded Nissan center link, which is very prone to egging out the ends with even moderate off roading. L and P Performance and Calmini sell stronger replacement kits for Pathfinders. BTW, if that's whats wrong with your steering, a steering stabilizer won't help until its fixed.

I am having a clunking noise coming from the rear end during moderate to heavy acceleration.

Check for loose exhaust, loose shock, etc. Could be a u joint or worst case a bad gear in the rear.

Hope this helps.

Also try typing your questions in the search function. You'll get a whole lots more info on each of your issues that way. Most have been discussed in detail and you might find a topic that pinpoints exactly what you're trying to describe.

And you wouldn't notice much difference if the t-case were stuck in 4HI, as unlikely as that seems to me. The front end would pull more and make it harder to steer, that's for sure. If your steering is shot, then it would toe your tires in against each other when you hit the gas and really make for some scary steering on the road. Oh, and don't drive(much) on concrete or dry pavement in 4LO(or make tight turns), it stresses the drivetrain too much.

Thanks alot. Will look at the center link.. How do I know to repace it or not? If there was a bad gear in the dif would it not happen all the time during mild and moderate acceleration?? Will check the shock mounts, doesn't seem to be a problem over bumps. I had a 4x4 s-10 that I knew not to run on pavement, I figured the sames rules applied to the pathy..but thanks for the tips. How hard to replace a gear in the diff? Could it be a bad rear axle??? I really should look for the haynes manual!

Thanks again!

PV

Have someone sit in the driver's seat with the engine running. Crank the wheel all the way one way and take a look under the fender at the end of the centerlink beside the tie rod. Have your helper move the steering wheel side to side repeatedly(not necessarily quickly, get the idea?) so you can watch the joints move with it. If there is slop or play in the CL joints, you'll be able to see it then. Repeat with the other side, remember to watch the idler arm and make sure it's only pivoting, not pivoting AND moving up and down.

On the clunking noise, I'd look underneath for missing parts or loose exhaust, etc before assuming anything to do with the differential. Diffs don't usually just start clunking by themselves. Do you have the external tire carrier? Check that for clunks too if so.