Zero's Build Thread

Zero

So a back in October I bought my 01 QX4 and had grandiose plans to modify it but those fell by the way side as I was driving my Audi A4 every day and working all the time. Now my life has freed up significantly, I sold the A4 and put some of that money into the QX, which has been named Squatchy

I haven't done any work to it pretty much from the time I bought it until 2 weeks ago, and I apologize in advance as I am missing a lot of progress pics because I broke my phone when it went in the river with me.

Yammerings aside, I'd like to introduce Squatchy from purchase until today.

Day 1:

1uW9kbn.jpg

Several weeks after purchase, Squatchy got Fleurys spacers in front and rear, as well as a Rola Vortex rack

EV8L8yE.jpg

A while after the lift, she got 32" tires on new 18" wheels. These wheels (and the rack) came off mere weeks after going on though, as the suspension was WAY too soft for tires that big and rubbed everywhere. The rack made a ton of road noise because it was so high up. The original 3 spokes and 29"s were put back on and remained on until the suspension went in last week.

zYhhXUe.jpg

• Like 1

Over the past two weeks I've had dozens of packages show up at my door. List of goodies is as follows

Monroe shocks and struts (front and rear)

2" AC Coils (With isolator bushings)

4" Iron Rock Jeep WJ springs (I cut the pigtails off)

New front drive axles

New Ball Joints

Rola Vortex rack extension

Ultra Gauntlet 18x9 wheel

Cooper AT3 (32.2" tire) 255x70R18 as a full size spare

Auto Vent shades molded window shades (In track version)

Weathertech floor mats and cargo mat

After all that went in, this is how she looks

hWvYC2R.jpg?1

I2MX2mS.jpg?1

Weathertech Mats that ACTUALLY FIT the weird shape of our floor mats

s0xRQxA.jpg?1

• Like 1

Rear cargo mat fits very well in the trunk. Also pictured is the custom shelf I built. 1x12 board notched to allow for the wheel well shape, wrapped in rubber. I'll include more pictures on this as well as measurements if requested.

JbetYtT.jpg?1

26" Forest axe mounted with Quick Fists

VGe6WNc.jpg?1

Full ~6ft Rola Vortex and tire

Syt8YJu.jpg?1

Rack mounted with Conduit hangars to make it nice and low to the roof. It sits mere millimeters above the rub bars on the roof now.

5iRQF8z.jpg?1

Anti-Theft

6dBS0nR.jpg?1

R9m41lN.jpg?1

SteDTqe.jpg

As part of the suspension install, the shock mounts were cut and re-welded about 3 inches higher up on the axle. They're now as flush with the rear axle as they can get without having to relocate the brake lines. Clearance underneath has drastically improved as a result. (Yes, the spare tire chain needs to go. That's on my to-do list.

Fg1XXFr.jpg

Nice looking Q! This is more or less how mine's going. I never thought of painting my tri-spokes black, it looks much better than chrome. I look forward to following your build!

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I installed Warn Hubs, replaced all 4 O2 sensors, both crank sensors, both cam sensors. Rear axle drain plug was leaking a bit, so that's fixed now, the oil cooler seals have been replaced, Full synthetic oil change.

Like the build! Been thinking about relocating my shock mounts - mine are oddly not straight - causing one of my shocks (OME) to rub my Fleurys' spacer. I also have the Weathertech cargo mat - but my cargo area is 70% full all the time - so it is not easy to see. Thrilled to see someone (finally) trying out the weathertech AVM as they do not make one molded to our floors, now I know they will fit.

Great thread, I'll be following your progress!

• Like 1

Try a few washers to space out your shock from the spacer.

And yes, the weathertech trim to fit are the only ones that xan be made to the same shape as the driver floor mat

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Memorial Day camping and fun. Unfortunately nobody shot the video of me getting stuck. I had one of the rear wheels dangling off the ground and the other rear so pinched in the wheel well that it wouldn't move. It took me a 14 point turn to get out of the little gulch I was stuck in.

Brief streambed crossing my friend took: https://youtu.be/AwjIrzIv17g

8yN4Cf8.jpg

7ZLGBG1.jpg

Mxy2qXC.jpg

Edited by Zero
  • Like 2