Fuel Containers & Mounts

Dieselboy

Looking at the options for my Terrano build for carrying spare fuel and water . . .

I know there’s a 2007-vintage thread about fuel containers and mounts for them here, but after doing some more research on the net, I thought I’d add some info and compile some of the old stuff. If I’ve missed stuff (and I’m sure I have) please add to it.

Firstly, why carry extra fuel?

To quote herm in the old post . . .

You have a 230+ mile range in a Pathfinder. In most of the US, if you top off at the 'last gas' station and head for the trails you will be fine. It takes a multiday remote run to demand trail refueling, or trips into Mexico or Canada where you will have distances greater than 230 miles between villages.

Really depends on how you drive though. Having had a fuel can on the back of my old Pathfinder, I’ve used it multiple times on trails here in Alberta and British Columbia. It’s always good to have that insurance policy when heading off into the bush. Certainly for multiday trips, camping adventures, etc, I’d say that’s pretty essential. And I’ve used my spare fuel to top up friends in very thirsty Jeeps many times as well. Plus there’s the aesthetics of it – it just looks pretty darned rugged to be sporting fuel cans. Looks like you mean business!

Remember though, when mounting fuel cans to your rear tire carrier, make sure you don’t obscure your tail lights!

Fuel Can Options

Depends on how and where you want to mount your can, weight, availability (CARB restrictions in the US) but you should never carry fuel inside the vehicle. Getting high on vapors while driving, let alone the risk of a fire is just not worth it.

Plastic flat-bottom

•  
  • squat, flat-bottomed with low centre of gravity
  • “regular” fuel cans available in a range of different sizes
  • lightweight, easy to handle, most are CARB compliant
  • available in various fuel types & water
  • can be lashed to roof baskets using ratchet straps
  • some cheaper plastics prone to fade in UV
  • easily available from gas stations, hardware stores, Walmart etc.
  • e.g. Scepter, Wedco, Blitz

160_07081.JPG

Plastic “Jeep style"

•  
  • modeled on military NATO or traditional Jerry-can styles
  • tall and top-heavy, typically 5 gals / 20 liters
  • should be leak-proof so can be carried flat
  • can be strapped to roof basket but benefits from mounted holders
  • some cheaper plastics prone to fade in UV
  • not as easily available, may need special order, internet
  • may not fit regular NATO can mounts due to slight taper and rounded base
  • e.g. Scepter (Part #05086)

160_03609.JPG

Steel Blitz type

•  
  • as plastic “Jeep Style” above
  • also, metal lip on base for clamp mounting
  • powder coat prone to flaking, fuel damage, corrosion
  • availability varies, special order, 4x4 stores, internet
  • Blitz, Automotive Customizers, Trail Duty

MEFon.jpg

Plastic Mil-spec NATO

•  
  • Full military specification NATO fuel can
  • heavy duty construction 5 gal / 20 liter (also some smaller sizes)
  • typically available in sand or olive drab only (for fuel)
  • colorfast non-fading plastic
  • heavy duty pouring spout, may not be CARB compliant
  • benefits from mounted holders
  • leak-proof and rebuildable with replacement parts
  • availability varies, army surplus outlets, 4x4 stores, internet
  • e.g. Scepter Military, National 4WD, DS Tactical

fd20l.jpg

Metal Mil-spec NATO

•  
  • The archetypal Jerry can
  • heavy duty construction 5 gal / 20 liter
  • aluminum or steel
  • ex-military typically available in sand or olive drab, but can be painted
  • off-the-shelf Wedco versions in red, yellow, blue etc
  • Old mil-spec versions NOT CARB compliant
  • New Wedco ones are CARB compliant and thus easier to source
  • should be leak-proof
  • benefits from mounted holders
  • e.g army surplus outlets, Wedco, Expedition Exchange

wedco009%20029_.jpg

Rotopax Type

•  
  • plastic heavy duty & colorfast
  • 1, 2, 3, & 4 gal sizes
  • various fuel types, plus matching storage containers, 1st aid kits etc
  • leak-proof, can be carried in any orientation
  • mounts through a centre hole
  • heavy duty & CARB compliant
  • multiple proprietary mount systems available
  • limited availability, manufacture’s website
  • Rotopax, Automotive Customizers

product_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dieselboy

Here's Part II . . .

Mounting systems

Depends on how much you want to carry and where, and how much cash or effort you want to expend.

Roof basket

probably the easiest and simplest. Just strap down your fuel container in your roof basket. Make sure its leak-proof, especially if not carried upright! Make sure its secure in all directions. Don’t use bungees as it will slide around, break free, abrade through and leak. Ratchet straps are ideal.

DIY / Custom built mounts

the limit is your imagination, from simple boxes, frames and holders in roof baskets to well-built tire-carrier shelving systems. Proprietary clamp systems can be DIY / custom adapted for your application. Most off-the-shelf tire carrier mounts are made for Jeeps, Toyotas etc, but they can give you ideas for building your own if you’re good with a welder and pipe bender.

rearbumperk.jpg

Con-Ferr Blitz clamp mounts

designed specifically for cans such as the Blitz 5 gallon with a lip on the underside. Will not work with plastic cans. Will need to be adapted to your mounting application. Automotive Customizers makes a kit to mount the clamp to the Pathfinders swing-away tire carrier, but there may be issues of space if carrying larger than a 31” tire. Really though, your imagination is the limit when finding suitable places to attach these.

e.g. Trail Duty, Automotive Customizers

con_ferr_blitz_can_carrier.jpgproduct_thumb2.jpg

Tire mounts

Con-Ferr makes a mount plate that adapts the above clamping system to bolt directly to your spare tire using the existing lug nuts. Not sure if this would work for our Nissan’s as I’ve never seen on in the flesh. (e.g. Trail Duty)

conn_ferr_tire_adapter.jpg

Also, some of the Pathfinder tire carriers had a square 1” or 1.5” opening much like a small receiver hitch in the middle. A fabricated plate for a clamp mount with a 1” square tube could be used, hitch-mount style on such tire carriers.

Rotopaxhave a neat system with two brackets for their Rotopax containers that strap either side of your spare tire with a heavy duty ratchet. They’re adaptable to most offroad tire sizes and means that you can carry your fuel can mounts for those trips into the bush, but don’t have to schlep around the whole assembly when in town.

2TBJeep.jpg

Blitz Box type

Generic 5 gallon fuel container holder by Blitz. Can sits in the bottom and is secured by a strap. Vertical or flat mountable, it requires fabrication of some kind of adapter (and available space!) to mount it to the Pathfinder’s tire carrier. (e.g. Blitz, Trail Duty etc)

bltiz_11412.jpg

NATO box type

Large metal (aluminum or steel) fuel can holders to accommodate full military spec metal or plastic fuel containers. Often with locking clamp. May be specific to type of fuel container. Typically can be mounted in various orientations – flat, vertical, sideways. Can be mounted in roof baskets but would require a fabricated mounting system to fit the Pathfinder tire carrier.

Many manufactures (e.g. Expedition Exchange, Adventure Trailers etc)

uralsl.jpg

Hitch mounts

Baskets, boxes and carriers that attach to your rear receiver hitch. Many auto stores, Walmart etc carry these. However, they assume two things: first, that you have a rear receiver hitch(!); second that you don’t intend to go offroad! They’re typically low slung and extend a ways out behind your truck and will destroy any departure angle you may have.

Rotopax

For the Rotopax proprietary fuel, water and storage containers

Solid aluminum camming system for a variety of mounting options

Adaptor plates for vertical and horizontal applications as well as strap-to-spare tire mounting

Available from Rotopax and Automotive Customizers

RX-EXPMD-01.jpg

Any more ideas, please post!!

Nice work getting it all in one place!! :aok:

I'm a fan of the Blitz 5 gallon metal ones. Readily available, fairly durable (I have one that's 30 years old), several mounting options available and not too spendy.

B