Ethanol Anyone?

arctic_mark

Hi all

Newbie to forums but got some questions. Hearing a lot about alternative fuels here in Canada right now what with high prices at the pump and environmental concerns. I know they’re big into Ethanol in Brazil with cars running on anything from E10 through all the grades to pure ethanol. Does anyone have any info on running either blends at higher than E10 or mods required for running pure ethanol in a ’94 SE V6 ? I guess there may be duel fuel conversions out there but have come across any, and what are the pros and cons? Heard on CBC Radio 1 this morning that later Brazilian engines are designed as flex fuel engines to automatically sense the percentage ethanol content of fuels and adjust automatically. Can you retrofit an old VG30E to these standards or is this a stupid question?! Failing that could you drop a used flex-fuel engines available in Brazil into my Pathy (or is that an even more dumb question)? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

I did come across a system from Brazil called the FlexTek (http://www.flextek.com.br/?lang=eng) that you wire in between your ECU and injectors. You set the ethanol/gasoline ratio in the unit, including all mixtures as well as pure gas and pure ethanol. Apparently it interprets the signal from your ECU in the light of your ethanol percentage and adjusts the injectors accordingly. They say that the system isn't supported by Nissan engines but the problem is simply one of incompatible connectors. They tell me that Nissan drivers do use the system successfully but have to hard wire it rather than just plug-and-play. Think I may have to go for this and give it a try. Just need to get into home brewing now! javascript:emoticon(':beer:')

smilie

Mark