Transmission Problem

frankle1

First let me start out by saying I do not know too much about engine repair. I was wondering if anyone could diagnose the following symptoms I seem to have encountered with my newly purchased 1995 Pathfinder XE (45,000 miles).

This weekend I was driving all over for several hours at highway speeds in the heat with the AC full blast (not sure if these details are important but thought I would include everything). Got off the highway onto a stretch with several lights imterspersed a some distance appart - in other words I had to stop occasionally for teh lights but then was able to get back to highway speeds. On this stretch I started to experience the following: Starting from a stop the transmission would seem to work fine up to about 40 - 50 mph, then it seemed to slip, because the RPM went way up when it tried to shift. However, it was not a total slip because I had no problem maintaining my speed at 40 - 50 mph, just when I tried to go faster the engine would just rev up and the transmisison would not engage. I did the following - switched off the O/D and swtichted the "power" swtich on the dash. Not sure if this did anything but the problem went away. I then reengaged the O/D and the "power" swtich, drove fine for a while and then the problem returned. This time I did nothing and it went away after slowing down and then speeding up again. It happened about 3 time on that drive and I have not experienced it since.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gordon

Ok, The first thing you do is get the tranny fluid flushed and changed. The "filter" should also be changed if the garage is talented they can do that, but be prepared for them to say they can not change the "filter".

Next install the biggest aftermarket tranny cooler you can find. Nissan trannys HATE heat and will fail because of it. Since you say you are not much of a mechanic a good tranny shop can do this for you.

Now the problem is finding a good tranny shop. There are very few in world. Most are parts replacers and really do not know what they are doing. The dealship is generally not any better. The things I suggested can be done at any good garage, so if you have someone you trust then go to them. Other wise post your location and MAYBE one of teh forum people will come and help you fix your Pathy. :bow:

well, when you mentioned that when you turned off the power at-switch on the dash the problem went away, and turned it back on and the problem came back. when the power at-switch is on, the tranny shifts at higher rpm than normal. don't know if that's exactly your problem. mine for example, if i have that swithc off, i'll shift gears at about 2500-3500 maybe higher rpm, but when i have that switch on, it shifts at much higher 4500+. sometimes i don't have enough room(road wise) to get that high of rpm to make it shift. i don't know if that's normal, but we'll find out when more poeple post. when i drive mine path in the mornings, my tranny does not shift out of first. i have to take it real, i mean real easy when it's cold. after it's warmed up, runs strong. i've pretty sure you're fine.

oh yeah, if it is a problem. when you do your tranny flush, add transmission treatment. fluid. lucas brand is the best. before i had my tranny rebuild and before i added that stuff, my tranny was shifting and slipping, and god knows what. i addded that stuff and tranny starting working fine, until i busted it. DO NOT climb extremely steep hills in "D" use low gears. learned it the hard way. that stuff really works.

here's a link to lucas:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...atid=2&loc=show

Edited by mudfinder