Power valve/swirl valve screws - manifold removal HELP

magicmk

Hi everyone, 

So I figured today (beginning of Labor Day weekend) would be a great time to do the power valve screws on my '02 R50. I read through and followed the DIY that is posted on the How To forum. As with most projects on an old vehicle like this, I've hit a snag.

The "How To" says to removes the manifold with the power valves for applying the loctite for the power valve screws - then also advocates doing the same for the swirl valves. I found out after the fact that this not as critical so much as the power valves are, but since I went ahead and ordered a new gasket, I thought I'd go ahead and install it, and also take the time the clean things up a little. Also, most of the hoses are anywhere from fragilely brittle and cracking, to crumbling apart, depending on the type of rubber. I've split and broken one trying to remove it from a line behind the manifold, so now I'm past a point of no return where I need to remove the whole thing to replace the damaged hose.

Seems to be 2 long bolts and two 12mm nuts that hold the lower manifold in place. They came off fine. The lower manifold wiggles in place but something in the back is preventing it from coming off, as if there's another bolt in place. I read on the how to there is a "hidden" 12mm bolt that needs to come off but even using light and a mirror I cannot see this thing, so I'm stuck with a disassembled intake outdoors in my driveway that I can't reassemble now because of a freaking broken hose I have to repair first. 

Does anyone have an idea on what I need to look for to get this thing removed? I unbolted a bracket on the rear of the manifold (more toward the passenger side) but it made no difference. I used a couple of pry bars (not a great idea, but I'm out of options) just in case it was being stubborn or stuck. No luck. Any sort of diagram would help. Photo is better, but if I can't see what I'm trying to find by using a mirror and crawling all over the top of the engine, I can understand if a photo is impossible.

Really frustrated. Everything was going by the book and nice and smooth till I got stuck at this point. Thanks for any help anyone can lend.

Have a safe Labor Day weekend!

Not sure what you are missing but these might help. Should be 3 bolts on a bracket connected to the lower manifold back side and 4 bolts mating it to the head assembly. 

Forget the red arrows in the lower pic. I used this image for referencing the coolant crossover pipe

aT7aILP.jpg

engine%20example%208_zpsq7diushl.jpg

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TowndawgR50 said:

Not sure what you are missing but these might help. Should be 3 bolts on a bracket connected to the lower manifold back side and 4 bolts mating it to the head assembly. 

Forget the red arrows in the lower pic. I used this image for referencing the coolant crossover pipe

Oh my god, that is PERFECT!!!! Thank you so much. The short 4 inch hose just to the left of that bracket is what I broke trying to remove it, so I could see if I could free the lower plenum. I don't know if removing it was even necessary. It looks like it's part of some oil return line or something? Anyway, it's a formed and hardened rubber piece, I found a reinforced hose of similar size at the auto parts store that I cut to fit. Ended up just bypassing the swirl valve screws, did the power valve screws and got it all back together.

Regarding that bracket, I did find that top screw and removed it, but I never found the other two, even hunting around with a small mechanic's mirror and a light. That photo is a tremendous help... I wish I'd seen it before hand.  Thank you again!

• Like 1