P0755 and card in spokes sound from trans 02 R50 A/T 3.5

RCAR50

Hey again,

It's been awhile and the ol' 96 R50 "PSYCHOPATHY" is still doing GREAT..I can update on that in another thread. I have a question for this thread.

By the title it's obvious it is a transmission question.

I am looking at picking up a very nice condition 2002 4x4 R50 with a 3.5 and A/T with just over 200k, my problem is it has this transmission issue that I need some help with.

It fires up nice, idles super smooth and is real quiet. There is a slight whirl or almost like a card in bike spokes sound coming from the transmission. It is present even while in park and becomes much louder when you shift into gears. It will not engage into reverse at all and the noise gets louder and faster when you try, almost like a stripping actuator sound in an HVAC vent system (if your familiar with that sound), the sound is still there in "N" also though much softer.

It will shift into forward gears and drive, though I only went a block and didn't exceed 20 mph. It gets louder and seems faster with speed. It doesn't seem to be slipping at all as it will launch from a standstill somewhat impressively and felt solid while at the low speed.

I scanned it and it does have the P0755 shift control solenoid B malfunction code, but I couldn't find much on the topic on this site... I have read it could be a few things from dirty fluid to a TCM or even ECM. I've been wanting this body style and a 4wd for a long time now. but don't have the money to drop it at a shop for repairs though I am capable to do most repairs or swap a trans myself...No way I would attempt a rebuild though..

It's located about an hour from my home and my first idea is to pull the pan for a quick inspection, drain and refill fluid and hope it fixes or helps at least a little then drive it home with my fingers crossed but I don't want to damage anything further and make the repair any more costly. If it doesn't make it all the way I will call the tow truck on the insurance and get it the rest of the way home, but it only covers a small distance tow...

Has anyone here dealt with this issue and resolved it? What did it take?

If any more info is needed please let me know, I'd be happy to help you help me...

Thanks all!