Stock QX4 wheels

Gspeed151

I am looking for some input I just ordered my OME HD front and OME MD rear springs and currently I have the stock 16in tri-fan wheels and I am worried that the wheels will not clear once I lift it. I am planning on upgrading but for the mean time I want to be able to drive it.

If anybody has any experience in this it would be most appreciated.

The wheels will clear, it's the tires that would rub struts.

A 265/70r16 on trispokes with my setup was close enough to the strut I couldn't fit my checkbook between tire and strut.

With 1" spacers I can get my hand in there with play. I don't think a 265/75r16 would have made it without spacers.

Bonus tip (with 1" wheel spacers on Trispokes) you don't have to cut a hole in center caps to clear warn hubs. So they stay clean and dry just pop the cap with a pocket knife and lock em in. Makes it easy to clean and unlock after mudding too.

I don't know if other brand hubs or wheels work or not. I've got a 1/8" or so of clearance between center cap and lock in.

Edited by LittleFR

That helps I was tossing up 265/70/16 or 265/75/16. I am not planning on doing strut spacers yet and I am running 245/70/16 snow tires for the winter. It sounds like I will be OK for now.

The later decision will be wheel tire package without strut spacers If I can get away with -10 offset with 265/70/16, if I do have to do wheel spacers I might as well try and stuff the 265/75/16s with strut spacers as well.

I am going to put this thing up a little now and judge from there. I need to get the locking hubs next but with the Auto 4x4 I have heard its not worth it,

Not worth it? Whom said that?

Of course it's worth it. I would run manual hubs on a bone stock R50. If you lift it at all it's almost mandatory.

The benefits are improved fuel economy. Better handling. Coasts better. Saves CV shafts. And if you break a CV you can drive it.

The two negatives I've found are.

You have to lock them in if you get hung up suddenly.

You cannot use Auto mode on 4wd unless the hubs are locked in or your transfer case will explode.

Manual hubs are step two after step one of buying an R50.

• Like 1