Loud engine

Jase0520

So I recently changed out my ecm on my 02 SE pathy and it's been running fine except that after it starts it runs quiet and normal for about 30 seconds then the engine gets to opp temp then it is just loud and almost sounds like the fan is working on double time. The engine also heats up extremely quickly but it has not yet over heated. I have tried the idle relearn many times over an extended period but nothing changes. I am just trying to figure out where to start....is it a cooling, air flow, water pump issue, etc... any ideas? Thanks

Is your cooling fan clutch frozen? When they die the clutch freezes/sticks and likes to spin at the same speed as the engine. It makes it much louder.

A good fan clutch should allow you to spin the fan by hand (pretty easily) when the engine is off.

Well I just checked the fan and it spins very easily. Is it usuall for the radiator to heat up extreamly fast and get really hot to the touch But it does not over over heat. Of all the vehicles I have owned none of them have ever heated up this fast. If I turn it on and start driving it only takes like 20-30 seconds and it is really hot and then it get loud. Could it be the thermostat?

Well I just checked the fan and it spins very easily. Is it usuall for the radiator to heat up extreamly fast and get really hot to the touch But it does not over over heat. Of all the vehicles I have owned none of them have ever heated up this fast. If I turn it on and start driving it only takes like 20-30 seconds and it is really hot and then it get loud. Could it be the thermostat?

Sounds like it could be a stuck thermostat. It would prevent the coolant from circulating through the radiator, and causing the fan clutch to lock up (due to the high engine temps) and get louder.

You put in the correct ECM? I don't know about pathfinders but I put in a computer from a newer 5.0 once in an older 5.0 and the engine raced and my timing was so advanced it spark knocked.

It seems like if it ran fine then you changed the ECM then it doesn't run fine that is the common factor.

Unless it was broken down for the last ten years and you just got it running.

Just for kicks I'd also look for vacuum leaks and wires you may have knocked loose recently.

Edited by LittleFR

You put in the correct ECM? I don't know about pathfinders but I put in a computer from a newer 5.0 once in an older 5.0 and the engine raced and my timing was so advanced it spark knocked.

It seems like if it ran fine then you changed the ECM then it doesn't run fine that is the common factor.

Unless it was broken down for the last ten years and you just got it running.

Just for kicks I'd also look for vacuum leaks and wires you may have knocked loose recently.

It is the same ECM I just had to send it in to get rebuilt because it was causing the idle to fluctuate. I have looked for vacume leaks and have not found anything. It's just odd to me that when I cold start it is quiet and actually sounds like a truck then after a few seconds is sounds like a semi truck... after hurricane Matthew passes over us I will start troubleshooting it and hopefully get it figured out.