Towing Capacity - R50 with SFD and 33's?

couvboy

Hi all,

Planning a 2400Km road trip this summer (there will be mountains), deciding on whether to pull a travel trailer or tent trailer.

I've got a well-used 2004 3.5L V6 R50 with a listed towing capacity of 5000lbs....stock.

Have done the SFD and AC Lift up front and have added some 33's (285/75/R16s)

On top of that, it's got 280,000Km on the transmission....

Would like to make this drive without excessive worries about destroying the transmission.....

Some users online suggest....

Tow <80% of your listed capacity = 4000lbs

Decrease towing capacity by 400-500lbs per inch of tire height added (32.8"-29.1") = 2250-2600lbs

Does anyone have any personal experience towing with vehicles with this modification? Any additional pathy-specific considerations? Any other suggestions on what towing capacity they think is safe and not overly taxing on the transmission? Otherwise I suppose I will shoot for the 2250-2600lb range (fully loaded trailer)

Thanks in advance!

Ive towed my 18ft toy hauler 2000+ miles with my sfd+OME spring lift but used my stock rims and tires for better fuel economy. With the trailer loaded its about max rating for our trucks. Ive upgraded to HD brakes, added air lift load helpers in the rear and a transmission cooler up front.

The only issue you will have is taking off and hauling balls uphill. Once you are going the tires are just extra rotating mass to slow down and a mild gear reduction when (taking off and going uphill)

I would pull what I needed to pull, kick out my OD for any grade and not look back.

I have 32's and tow regularly we have hills not mountains but I kick out the OD and use a lighter foot.