Opinion 02-04 xterra ?

Blue109

Wife hit a javolina and killed her little rav4. It had 260k on it and was still going strong. We liked it but those things are too Damn expensive to buy another and we need a replacement vehicle asap. I have about $5500 to spend tops. I'd like a pathy but there's nothin in 500 miles with less than 170k odo that I can find, but there seem to be a few xterras from 02/3/4. 2x and 4x. Generally between 100k and 130k miles.

Any opinions? These look to be pretty reliable and that's my main concern. Just want something with room for the kids and stuff that I can take out camping or on trips, and still be a decent daily. Don't plan on modding it at all. Any major differences in reliability between 2/4x4? Any major reliability concerns outside of basic maintenence? Common failure points? Also willing to hear suggestions for a used suv in that price range. There seem to be a lot of Isuzu rodeos and cherokees for sale here as well in similar condition. TIA.

Hi

I'm an Xterra 2002 SE-SC owner for about 6 years now and... I love it!

Reliable as hell and great for towing if you add leaf in the rear suspension.

I've been hard on it a lot of time on rock trail and when I tow +8500lbs on looooong travel and it never fail on me. Trans still shift like a new one, but I have a big ass cooler on the trans + the stock cooler.

The 2x4 VS 4x4 thing is only you don't have to change oil in the front diff/t-case because.... the 2X4 don't have one lol, all other thing is the same. Same maintenance basically.

Little concern that I've seen on mine:

- drip oil from the valve cover gasket (Ok my truck has seen more than 20 000km's of hi-rev towing, O/D off, more than 8500lbs in the back, engine rev at 3500-4000 et 110-120 km/h, so I can say my VG33ER work pretty hard in the summer)

- Rear leaf has broken, my answer is a custom leaf pack who is 4 heavy-duty leaf + the load leaf at each corner in the back. It's now ride like it got no suspension in the rear and I love it, not ideal if you don't tow lol.

Only that, all other thing was basic maintenance like oil, t-belt, brake, and an exhaust last summer, the fist one was on the truck for 13 year.