Air Intake modifications for water crossing

NovaPath

I'm going to look into this here shortly, but prior to tearing into it was wondering if anyone else had modified the existing air intake system to be less susceptible to water intrusion? I'm not talking full on snorkle, just sealing up by the wheel well and having it pull from higher in the engine bay?

Thanks!

that is exactly what I was looking for! I literally searched via Google for about an hour trying to find something like that, I'm tempted to reply to your thread with some keywords to help anyone searching in the future.

You are the man! Any long term issues that I could rectify on the front end?

nothing... I love my setup and it actually buzzed once when I had dropped the front of the truck in a <deeper than expected> water crossing... As soon as it buzzed, I shut off the engine.

My trail buddies pulled me out from the rear (I was leading the expedition) and since only the front of the truck was in the water, for sure I had water on my feet, but the engine was saved.. No damaged whatsoever because I knew exactly how much water was in my air box...

I would not change a thing.... and as far as i'm concerned, having a snorkel going as high as my roof would mean that I am ok with crossing water that high.....and that's not the case...my hood is my limit....that's high enough for me :-)

Edited by fleurys

Makes sense! I'm with you on that. I enjoy my carpet, heated leather seats, CB and stereo! I'm uninterested in having to breath through a snorkel out the sunroof on a water crossing!

I have bookmarked your thread and will be following it closely when I make mine. Not sure if I will be putting in the buzzer system, although it is super cool :)