Exhaust manifold stud

unit6usa

I've read a little on some of the topics here about removing exhaust manifold studs. I haven't really come across anything yet on what to do in the event one of the studs breaks off in the head and I have to remove it. After reading that many people have had trouble with these bolts breaking, I didn't want to do it but one of the Y-pipe flange studs broke off in removal so I was forced to. Looking at the FSM I noticed there was nothing in stud #1 of the right hand exhaust manifold so after removing the other studs (which was easy because the manifold has been off before I reckon) I looked and the stud is broken off...long story but do I need to remove the engine to gain access to this stud? I'm afraid it's rusted in place and access to the stud is minimal to drill and extract it. Thx!

I did this about a year ago and had 3 break off on the drivers side, and all 3 recessed into the head. You don't need to pull the engine or any funny business like that, although its not much fun either way. I bought a dewalt 3/8 drill chuck adapter along with a 10 or 12" drill bit extension and went in from the wheel well. Make sure to use a center punch to start the pilot hole and work your way up in size afterwards. Using left hand bits I was able to get most of the way through and extract 1, the other 2 had to be heli-coiled. You can also drill/tap the new holes to accept the larger m10 studs on the newer blocks instead of heli coil, which is probably be the right way to go. I was feeling lazy after all that drilling....