Worth replacing injectors?

Bernie

This site has been a great help to me lately trying to pinpoint what's been going wrong with my 93 Pathfinder SE with 5 speed manual. It's been getting progressively more sluggish and is chugging whenever I accelerate. At first I thought it was maybe the trans so I changed the gear oil with 5 quarts (I did the tilting the truck thing to get more oil in) of Redline MT-90, and the transfer case with new Redline also. No improvement so then I moved on to changing the plugs including one that was rusted in there for 105,000 miles which I got out. I put in NGK Iridium plugs, new cap and rotor, no improvement. Used Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Injector Cleaner in case the injectors were clogged, no improvement. So I took it to the dealership to see what they had to say. They said I have 4 bad injectors showing low ohms readings and my wires are arching. I had already checked for arching with spraying them with water in the dark, and I didn't see anything, and they were only maybe on there for 15,000 miles. They wanted $1100 to replace 4 injectors and he said we can start there. I took the truck home with me. I even put new $90 wires on yesterday. The truck has 263,500 miles on it, burns no oil whatsoever and would probably run another 100,000 with new injectors if that's really the problem. Problem is I have the rust hole under the back seat, rusted out front and rear chrome bumpers, and rust under the rear doors in the corners of the body and a lot of rust right through the frame behind the rear wheels. Is it time to just retire my Pathfinder, part it out and move on to a nice used Xterra I'm looking to buy, or replace the injectors which I could probably do myself but still have all this rust through the frame. How dangerous is that? Sorry for the long winded post but lot's of issues to be decided. Thanks for all your input! WAVEY

Edited by Bernie

The catylitic converter was replaced about 20,000 miles ago along with the o2 sensor, because it was starting to smell when it got hot. I found a cheap converter through some web site, can't remember now which one. I know it was smaller than the original though. I'm not smelling it like it was when it went out before.

Try this stuff called BG 44K. You pour it into your gas tank and it cleans your fuel system. I know it sounds like a bunch 'o crap, but this stuff WORKS! I used it on my '87 and it stopped the hesitation and deiseling I used to have. It comes in a small can and costs around $22.00us. I'd try it and a new fuel filter first.

I put a new fuel filter on this morning with no improvement. I've also tried additves like you recommended. I used Lucas and SeaFoam but neither did any good. I pulled the new plugs out this morning to see what they looked like after a week in there and one of them had black soot, but funny thing is the old one that was taken out of there last week didn't have any soot, none of them did. I'm starting to think what the dealership told me was right, that the injectors went bad. The 02 SuperCharged Xterra I'm looking at is looking more like a reality.

If you can do the install yourself, go here and get all 6 injectors for about $300. I replaced mine in my 94 last summer from this site and the sluggishness went away. Their service is excellent, even answering the phone on a Sunday night when I was looking for a source for my injectors. Whatever you do, don't just replace the bad ones. I tried that the summer before with 2 of them, only to replace the others less than a year later.

On the other hand, a supercharged Xterra would be pretty nice :aok:

Thanks for the tip. If I decide to tackle it, I was going to do all 6. I just have to decide if it's worth it with the rusted frame. I have to wonder how much longer I can go on driving it until it becomes a safety issue, if not already. Mechanically it may be fine but I don't want the rear end falling off in traffic some day. :o