intermittant engine missing

pathfinderfisherman

Ok first off...hey everbudy, missed you!!! hope you missed me more..... :rolleyes:

my new pathy is a 95 SE VG30 auto....(my 93 finally passed due to frame rust)

never had a problem with the 95' till one of the kids got in and left a door open and ran the battery down really low...which made me think ground...for a second.....

she will drive fine one day and then the next acts like someone spayed water under the dist cap ....

which was a problem or so i thought...i knew it was part of it because the oring got so big it could fit around the outside of the dist. and when i took the cap off to look at the cond of rotor it fell out

i replaced the ring and cap and rotor...on the day the boys had a big sledding/tubing fun day with their school a couple weeks ago....i was in the big hurry so i took out the distributor to remove a broken bolt on rear of dist cap...and did something i had never done before, i hope everyone gets a big chuckle on this one.......

so the grab-it extractors didn't work i eventually drilled it out and put it back together....new cap new rotor and the oring...but not even a hiccup...wouldn't fire at all....i ran up to the computer and scoured the FSM....i got back down to the truck and checked the ECM...a big ol' 55 on the flashes...i was lost....standing in front of the truck tryin to figger how it might be possibly out of time and how i was gonna get it to fire....my oldest son said the spark was good...after i turned the key back off...i told him he could let go of the wire and screwdriver....(yeah what a jerk huh?...but i know for sure how much worse it could be, as i had the ol' 93 running once and tried to remove the plastic guard on the coil, it pulled the wire off and the spark had to jump a good 6 in. to get me, it blasted me zappity zap zap....till the engine died...I never knew it fired those cylinders so fast at idle....)

It was soon after that i realized i yanked the dist without checking what cylinder it was on......UNREAL!!!! i can't believe all the years workin on motors i forgot to do that!!!! thats what a hurry does to ya i guess...when ya know everything....got her buttoned up on time and the boys made it to the winter fun shin-dig....

once it was buttoned up she still has the intermittant miss, sometimes...like this morning 5 miles up my road to highway, fine.....turn the corner and the next 4 or 5 mi to the gas station missed.. all the way...filled her up added some iso heat jus in case...never missed once for the next 40-50 miles..i shook my head the whole way, while my buddy kept sayin how it was water in the gas......left it running for 5 minutes and it missed all the way home...(that shut him up)......

now i will get some new plug wires had to order em won't be here till monday or later....but..the reason i thought it was possibly wires is it sounds pretty consistant 99% of the time, like it misses on jus one cylinder

i did check the ground to the ecm with my fluke multi meter....seems fine...before i add a secondary ground i want to poll the collective....

I know there is a relay next to the washer fluid that causes intermittant starter issues sometimes...been there done that...proved it true on the ol' 93

is there a relay that could cause missing....???? or another ground wire that i'm missing???? just anything aside from ecm or plug wires.....that I might have forgotton????...cause outside of a ground to the ecm or plug wires shorting...i dunno......it's driving me :wacko:

as always thanks in advance

Edited by pathfinderfisherman

I had an intermittent misfire that turned got really bad one cold day finally causing it to throw an injector code. Took it to the shop and it ran just as you describe the whole way there. Constant miss for maybe 1-5 minutes, then back to normal, then back to missing again. Prior to that she always had a sort of intermittent misfire but it only noticeable at idle.. The shop confirmed the injector code, but wanted a bunch of labor $$ to tell me which one so I took it hope and pulled/greased all the injector plugs on the passenger side of the block - voila! runs better than ever, no more misfire at idle, no more code, runs smooth in the cold and no problems since. And when I say cold, i'm talking -20 to -30F.

If you're lucky like me and it's a passenger side injector and it is in fact injector related, it's a 2 minute job to grease the passenger side connectors. Nice and simple. If you want to take the intake plenum apart you can do all 6, and while you're in there take care of a few other things as well.

well while the boys were at basketball practice yesterday morning i found the culprit....it was a bad plug wire....i got rid of my old pathy so i don't have a spare to pull(there were so many things i should still have it for in case, i only pulled things i could see it ever needin...lol)

...but i was tryin to change the plugs while they were in the school and i tried to pull off one wire and it was in bad shape, i almost pulled the wire of the end connector on the plug, i thought it was off and saw the core wire still goin down to the plug....sheeeewwwwww!!!

lucky i didn't strand us....i ordered plug wires and i hope no more miss putter...lol

stay tuned.....