Rust on oil pan, rusted - cracked rear catalytic converters year 2000

Pdfflyer

Does anyone see rust on their oil pan ? Model Year 2000 Yeah, I know...unheard of .... but true

Evidently a result of salt laden roads and winter driving.

Learned I need a replacement recently.

Truck body is otherwise rust-free, it is a dilemma at only 75,000 miles.

This follows replacement of both oxygen sensors, and then replacement of both rear catalytic converters rusted through near the tail piece where the rear oxygen sensors thread in.

Recommend everyone crawl underneath and spray these areas with oil / paint / rust proofing / flex seal.

Has anyone heard of a Nissan extended warranty on these areas.

Paul

No, I will schedule an appointment for the strut housing corrosion recall as soon as possible ? When does it expire?

Only Nissan can admit to a problem and simultaneously establish an expiration on a possible fix.

I never had an oil pan rust out before. This is a new one. The previous domestic cars leaked enough oil

through the gaskets to keep the outside of the engine well soaked in oil. Previous '89 Nissan leaked enough

oil to accomplish same. Now the only component for rust to attack is evidently the

oil pan and these strut housings. Be sure to inspect yours

I don't believe the recall expires. If the rust is bad enough, it can condemn your vehicle which is why I suggested to have that inspected first before worrying about the oil pan, etc. Of course I don't wish anybody's vehicle to be bought back due to rust, but severe rust in the strut housing is very dangerous.

Out of curiosity, is the transmission pan rusting as well?

No, it is a 5 speed manual transmission which was leaking fluids ago and was corrected from leaking by the use of an epoxy.

The epoxy has withstood the last several winters.

Paul

In the end, the excessive rust was directly above the front driveshaft and should have been quite visible

to all Nissan personnel who had serviced my vehicle.

Replaced the engine oil pan and the engine mounts, sprayed flex seal on the replacement pan.

The 2000 Frontier parts rusted out faster than the Sentra parts on my 1989 Nissan car subjected to the same rural streets

here in the Great Lake States