Timing belt too tight.....

wofat

I put less than ten miles on the vehicle since I put in a new timing belt, it has the textbook whine of a tight belt (see video):

http://youtu.be/AmDPRUgNuk4

Do You guys think this will go away or should I tear it down and loosen the tensioner? I didn't think I had much tension on it at all (flexed to 90 degrees between the cams without effort). Will it harm anything if I wait and see?

Thanks.

Yours does sound a little loud but my quest van has been making that sound since I replaced the belt over 50k miles back. Did you put a new tensioner? I would say it's not too tight if you could flex it 90 degrees.

James

Yeah, I put in a new tensioner. I drove it quite a bit yesterday and it settled down some, as long as it's not going to mess something up I think I'll just leave it for now.

Thanks

Yeah, I put in a new tensioner. I drove it quite a bit yesterday and it settled down some, as long as it's not going to mess something up I think I'll just leave it for now.

Thanks

I had a problem after changing my timing belt on my 1995 Accord. There are two belts and two tensioner pullies, one for the camshaft, and another for two balance shafts. The latter's tensioner pulley was bad, and made the engine sound like I put a small supercharger on it. I removed that belt and now the noise is gone.

Long story short: your new pulley is probably crap.