Cylinder head starting to leak

BeeWA

Hi,

My 2002 petrol V6, has a leak from the cylinder head, at the back as looking into the engine. On the ramp I can see a small teardrop of green coolant and evidence of a leak when looking up into the block/head. It's not losing coolant, the level is full and steady.

The engine has done 150,000km's.

Advice please, is there an easy fix, a mechanic tells me this is a common problem with Nissan engines caused by corrosion.

I will have to travel 500-1000km to get this fixed, I live remote. i'm in Western Australia.

I don't think there is a long-term fix, other than replacing the gasket. I *think* I've seen some sort of leak-stop product out there meant as a temporary (get outta-the-woods and back home) stuff out there, just don't know where and/or if you'd have it in AU.

I was right...for once :jig:, I have seen some Head-gasket repair stuff out there... :wiggle:RXAuto Head Gasket Repair

Again, I wouldn't trust it as a long-term solution...

Edited by Bluewulf73

:shrug: Just a thought ..

Are you absolutely certain that the leak is not from a coolant line in your intake plenum? Aren't there multiple coolant hoses all over that area? I'm not sure about the Nissan VG / VQ engines but, my wife's Honda Prelude had some circulating around the cylinder head.

There are quite a few. Under the lower intake manifold, on the backside of the plenum, under the plenum, throttle body...

Prestone Super Seal is the only one I know of that actually works. My old boss uses it in medical autoclaves for leaks that are impossible to get to. They see more pressure than any automotive cooling system can ever match.

Subaru makes something to add to your coolant that I've heard good things about. Subaru people would know as fast as those things pop head gaskets.

That is a coolant additive to prevent clogging of the radiator>overheating>premature gasket failure. It is not a gasket seal.

Subies are finicky...and the older models (1998-2005) do pop head gaskets...lots, that's fer sure. Electrical-wise they are backward to pretty much everything else out there too. Still, I like Subaru... :rolleyes:...still.

Are you sure its leaking from the head? There is a coolant crossover pipe in the back that connects between both heads. Mine leaked from the passenger side and caused coolant to leak down the back of the block and bell housing. Replacing the gasket fixed the leak, but it was difficult to get to the crossover pipe because of the limited access and close proximity to the firewall. Your back will not like you in the morning.