water in trailing link?

kpnissan

Hey everyone, newbie member here.

I just bought a Dorman right rear lower trailing arm to replace my bent one. After taking it out of the package I notice a swishing sound coming from inside of it. It sounds like there is water or some other liquid sealed inside the tube. Is this normal? Should I forget about it and replace, or should I drill a small hole to investigate?

Any knowledge would be helpful, thanks

Hey everyone, newbie member here.

I just bought a Dorman right rear lower trailing arm to replace my bent one. After taking it out of the package I notice a swishing sound coming from inside of it. It sounds like there is water or some other liquid sealed inside the tube. Is this normal? Should I forget about it and replace, or should I drill a small hole to investigate?

Any knowledge would be helpful, thanks

It might be, ehh what's the term? The little beads of metal that are created when welding, they could be rollin around, they are small, might sound like sand or something.

I can't find the term, perhaps there is no term for it, it might just be called welding splatter or something. :shrug:

On a side note, this splatter inside the piece means a weld blew through right? Any welders/fabbers know?

It might be, ehh what's the term? The little beads of metal that are created when welding, they could be rollin around, they are small, might sound like sand or something.

You mean slag? I suppose, though it does sound very much like a liquid. The more I think about it, the more I believe there's no reason I can't drill a hole and see what it is. It just seems very odd to me. Thanks for your response!

Edited by kpnissan

If you choose to get inside that thing, keep us posted on what you find. :popcorn:

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Update. I contacted Dorman with my issue. They said it's not supposed to have any liquid in it. They are sending me a new arm and want this one back for them to investigate. I was all set to drill into this one and figure it out but I guess they'll take care of it. Hopefully they will tell me what they find, and I'll share.