Clutch or Transmission?

rwd5021

So I just need a bit of clarification on this from some of you who are more knowledgeable than I am. I'm guessing clutch but I don't know much. Once in awhile it's kinda hard to move the shifter into gear, only into first or third, all other gears seem ok. I have to press the clutch pretty much all the way to the floor to shift into any gear, so I'm pretty sure that needs replacement but would having problems only in some gears also indicate a problem with the transmission? I can also pull it out of gear without having to push in the clutch, happened on accident once in 3rd gear, that's the only one I've tried it on. If I have my foot on the gas it'll stay in gear even with a good amount of force pulling on it, but once I let off the gas I can just pull down on the shifter and it goes into neutral. So what does everybody think?

Sounds like your clutch may not be releasing all the way. I would start by bleeding the clutch to be sure there is no air in the system. Also check to be sure your carpet or floor mat isn't keeping the pedal from traveling all the way. When you depress the clutch pedal how far does it travel before you feel significant resistance? You should be able to pull it out of gear when there's little or no load without using the clutch. As the load increases it gets harder to do. At full throttle it should be almost impossible to pull it out of gear without depressing the clutch, especially in the lower gears (not that I'd do it on purpose!).

So I just need a bit of clarification on this from some of you who are more knowledgeable than I am. I'm guessing clutch but I don't know much. Once in awhile it's kinda hard to move the shifter into gear, only into first or third, all other gears seem ok. I have to press the clutch pretty much all the way to the floor to shift into any gear, so I'm pretty sure that needs replacement but would having problems only in some gears also indicate a problem with the transmission? I can also pull it out of gear without having to push in the clutch, happened on accident once in 3rd gear, that's the only one I've tried it on. If I have my foot on the gas it'll stay in gear even with a good amount of force pulling on it, but once I let off the gas I can just pull down on the shifter and it goes into neutral. So what does everybody think?

Sounds like your clutch may not be releasing all the way. I would start by bleeding the clutch to be sure there is no air in the system. Also check to be sure your carpet or floor mat isn't keeping the pedal from traveling all the way. When you depress the clutch pedal how far does it travel before you feel significant resistance? You should be able to pull it out of gear when there's little or no load without using the clutch. As the load increases it gets harder to do. At full throttle it should be almost impossible to pull it out of gear without depressing the clutch, especially in the lower gears (not that I'd do it on purpose!).

I'll have to try bleeding it and see if anything changes, didn't have my hayne's manual earlier or I would've tried while bored at work.

Floor mat and carpet aren't the problem, the pedal goes to the floor.

First sign of resistance is at 2"

Good to know, so I can rule out the chance of it being a tranny problem.

Sounds like a clutch to me. Had the same problem, tried to bleed the system and could not get it to bleed. Ended up that the seal on the slave cylinder was leaking.

So you had to replace the slave cylinder then? Or can you get just the seal?

Once in awhile it's kinda hard to move the shifter into gear, only into first or third, all other gears seem ok. I have to press the clutch pretty much all the way to the floor to shift into any gear,

I can also pull it out of gear without having to push in the clutch

If it's hard to shift into gear, then it's most likely lack of pressure in your clutch system. Usually, a small lack of pressure only affects 1st gear because you need to fully release the clutch for 1st, but for the other gears you can half-ass it. Since it's 1st and 3rd, it could possibly to the knob on the end of your shifter. It's like a plastic cap type thing that moves the gates. The plastic cap may have chipped away over the years in some spots.

You're supposed to be able to take the shifter out of gear when you aren't on the gas. I suggest becoming educated in rev matching.

So you had to replace the slave cylinder then? Or can you get just the seal?

With the prices of slave cylinders new, don't even bother replacing seals.

If it's hard to shift into gear, then it's most likely lack of pressure in your clutch system. Usually, a small lack of pressure only affects 1st gear because you need to fully release the clutch for 1st, but for the other gears you can half-ass it. Since it's 1st and 3rd, it could possibly to the knob on the end of your shifter. It's like a plastic cap type thing that moves the gates. The plastic cap may have chipped away over the years in some spots.

I took the shifter off to fill the transmission with redline and I don't remember it looking chipped or anything but maybe it's worth checking if bleeding it doesn't work.

You're supposed to be able to take the shifter out of gear when you aren't on the gas. I suggest becoming educated in rev matching.

I know how to drive it. I had a manual hardbody before but the clutch worked perfectly for the whole time I owned it, so no experience working with these parts.

With the prices of slave cylinders new, don't even bother replacing seals.

Ok, I see now a slave cylinder isn't even $20 that's not bad at all.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by rwd5021

The pedal shouldn't have 2" of free travel before there's resistance. The problem is almost certainly in the clutch hydraulics. It's possible there is just air in the system. If the slave cylinder is dry you don't have a leak down there. Is it using clutch fluid? If it got low at some point that's typically how air gets into the system. Also, brake fluid absorbs water and if the fluid is really old oxygen from said water will eventually collect and become 'air' bubbles in the system. If you do need to replace the slave cylinder I highly recommend replacing it and the master at the same time. If you replace just one the other seldom lives more than a year. Replace both together and they typically last 20 years if they are quality parts. No reputable shop will replace one or the other anymore, FYI.

I would definitely bleed the system and see if that helps. It did help for a little while with mine but the symptoms returned. After changing the master and slave cylinders no more issues. My slave cylinder was not wet it was sucking air into the system.

Edited by Puckstoper9

The pedal shouldn't have 2" of free travel before there's resistance. The problem is almost certainly in the clutch hydraulics. It's possible there is just air in the system. If the slave cylinder is dry you don't have a leak down there. Is it using clutch fluid? If it got low at some point that's typically how air gets into the system. Also, brake fluid absorbs water and if the fluid is really old oxygen from said water will eventually collect and become 'air' bubbles in the system. If you do need to replace the slave cylinder I highly recommend replacing it and the master at the same time. If you replace just one the other seldom lives more than a year. Replace both together and they typically last 20 years if they are quality parts. No reputable shop will replace one or the other anymore, FYI.

Ok, I guess I should check/adjust the pedal height while I'm down there adjusting the free play, that seems simple enough.

I bled the clutch damper this morning and no changes yet. While we bled it, the pedal would stay to the floor when released, what does that mean? The directions were to release the pedal slowly after closing the bleeder valve, so I just pulled the pedal back very slowly..

I didn't have time to find the operating (slave?) cylinder to bleed that. Haynes says it's on the right side of the clutch housing, that means under the truck near where the trans meets the engine right?

Every time I've checked the clutch master cylinder it's been right at halfway so I don't think it's losing any fluid, it does look very dark though. It probably is really old.

Hopefully the parts are still good and bleeding them works, but thanks for the advice on replacing both.

You probably have air in the system like the other guys stated but if you haven't messed with any of it there is a reason it got the air in it. It could be the slave or the master letting air passed the seals when you release it. If they are both old I would replace them both. I recently did this on my pathy. I got them both from rockauto for $30, couldn't beat that deal! Bleeding them is a real pain the damper traps air. I would let it sit for a while and then crack the damper bleeder without depressing the pedal. Every time a little air would come out. Eventually no more air would come out and I haven't had a problem since.

James

Ok thanks guys, just need to find the slave cylinder and I'll be able to get a better idea what I need to do. It sounds like I might be placing an order at rockauto soon. Hmmm, what else could I get..... I was pretty much expecting to have to replace the clutch so it'll be awesome if this fixes it. Maybe I'll see what I can get at the jy, got a list of stuff I need from them :)