Fuel Tank - Where to buy.

krw

Hi guys,

It's time to replace the gas tank on the '92(leaking at the seam). The problem is I have only been able to find 15 gallon replacements and I know that I have put 18-19 gallons in the existing one. I am guessing that the original is 21 gallons or so, although the FSM doesn't say.

Does anyone know where to find a 21 +- gallon tank? Even Rock auto doesn't seem to have any. I'd hate to cut capacity by 25%. Thanks in advance.

When i was helping my buddy search for one for his pathy do to a offroad rock incident we could not find a factory 21 gallon one to save our lifes.

Every parts store and gas tank place we found on the web all showed they only make 15 gallon ones for the pathy now.

In the end we had to go to the junkyard and get a used tank and then had it pressure checked and then repainted it and good to go.

Did another quick look to see if anything new came up since we did replace it last year and same results sadly. Dorman and Spectra make about 95% of the aftermarket gas tanks that auto parts stores can carry and both of them still only sell the 15 gal one.

Looks like Courtesy parts still sells the 21 gallon tank put it's going for $350.

Thanks for all of the info Overland. After contacting Courtesy Parts I found out that their tank is also only 15 gallons. :( That's just unacceptable, particularly for their price. I guess I will go the junk yard route.

(If you have time and ambition) could you tell me of any issues you ran into in the actual exchange process. This will be my first on a PF, but not my first tank. I like to be well prepared when I can.

Maybe I will photograph the process and post a tutorial. I've done that for an alternator swap on my wife's Passat. (You have to jack up the engine!). That post was well received.

Karl

We picked a tank from a 95 pathfinder just because it was the last year of the wd21 pathfinder but all of the years there didn't look bad.

Took about 10 mins to remove the tank from the junkyard pathfinder.

Remember that under the carpet in the cargo area there is a trap door that can be removed really quick to allow easy access to the fuel pump assembly so we just cut the lines and dropped the tank and off we went.

When we got home we just filled it with water and check for leaks and then drained it and wiped it down and spray painted it black and re installed it.

Looks good as new and 21 gallons at the u pick it here junkyard the tank was $30 so saved him about $300.