2002 Pathfinder newb ie owner

qatcool

Hi to all. I bought a 2002 pathfinder 166000km. I already almost replace all the under chasis bushing, remaining is the balljoint. I also replace the rare shock with kyb gas adjust.change oil and tranny oil. now for the problem.

1. as the pathy change gear from 1st to 2nd gear you can feel a kicked or you can feel that it is really changing from 1st gear to 2nd gear.

2. When you driving and it change shift the revs goes down also from 4k to 2500. is it normal.

3. I have no power with the Engine when driving and you push the gas pedal even up to the floor you can feel a downshift and it will rev up to 5k.

4. at idle 750rpm the engine slightly shake.

I really want this pathy to be in shape again. can somebody please I need your advice im desperate.

1. First of all, check the transmission fluid. Nissan recommends to use Nissanmatic C transmission fluid to smooth out the shift. Since Nissanmatic C is no longer made, you can substitute that with the newer Nissanmatic D.

2. That is normal behavior, the transmission is geared to make sure that the engine stays in the peak torque band.

3. Have you done a tune up? Change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and the air filter.

4. See 3.

1. First of all, check the transmission fluid. Nissan recommends to use Nissanmatic C transmission fluid to smooth out the shift. Since Nissanmatic C is no longer made, you can substitute that with the newer Nissanmatic D.

2. That is normal behavior, the transmission is geared to make sure that the engine stays in the peak torque band.

3. Have you done a tune up? Change the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and the air filter.

4. See 3.

Thank you for the reply,I just change the transmission fluid,I bought it from Nissan, I replaced the spark plugs, ignition coil and distributor cap and also the air filter. I haven't replace the fuel filter and check the fuel injection. Can you advice me also, when sudden press of gas pedal, there is a sound coming from behind sounds like " tog" as if I am pulling something. Sorry for this stupid question, do ineed to replace the oil in the differential? Again thank you waiting for your reply. And somebody has some insights too will be appreciated.

It's a good idea to change the oil in the transfer case and differentials every now and then. The fuel filter is most likely fine and if the injectors start failing you should get a check engine light code. If you have the clunking sound, it is from worn out U-joints.

Nissan Matic C? I don't think that ever existed. 2002 R50s were spec'd for Matic D. I run Valvoline Maxlife in my trans without issue.

Change your fuel filter. It should help with the lack of power. Use an OEM one.

Here's a post of mine with some more suggestions:

A potential issue with our VQ35DE engines is the power valve screws can slowly back out of their holes and possibly get sucked in by the engine' date=' potentially causing severe engine damage. Replacing the screws is not a bad idea (since the original screws have been subject to heat and vibration; new screws will stay in their holes tighter), but either way, be sure to use some red (permanent) threadlocker as there is no reason to ever remove these screws for maintenance or other purposes.

I believe a Nissan dealer will charge you $300 or so to do. I'm not sure how much of that is parts and how much is labor - they may replace a couple upper intake manifold gaskets and the throttle body gasket simply because the FSM suggests to, but they are durable metal-backed gaskets so I'm not certain this is required (though I replaced all three when I did this myself).

There is a how-to with pictures here. I've done this process, and it's not very difficult, just time intensive. If you have a decent socket set and a torque wrench that does inch-pounds you're set! Read my thoughts on the process if you wish.

You don't have spark plug wires and a distributor; you have coil packs over spark plugs. Thus, all you can do is change out the spark plugs. There is an excellent how-to here. Use the OEM specified plugs for sure (NGK PLFR5A-11). The specified change interval is 169,000 km.

Some other things you should do:

• Change in-cabin air filter - use NAPA Gold (if available) as it's nearly exactly the same as OEM, down to the pleat count - see here for a comparison, and here for a how-to on changing it. Dealer will want about $36 USD for it.
  • Change out the power steering fluid - I suggest using a synthetic ATF for best results, such as Mobil 1 ATF or Valvoline MaxLife. Use a suction gun to siphon & fill the reservoir; do this a few times a couple days apart, then once every oil change.
  • Download a copy of the factory service manual here, and owner's manual here if you don't already have a physical copy.
  • For some reason, the owner's manual states that you should not use synthetic engine oil in your 2003 Pathfinder. I see you are heeding this suggestion by using Castrol GTX and an OEM filter - keep up with this at the severe service interval (6,000 km) and you'll be a happy owner of a Pathfinder for a very long time. :)
  • Go to the dealer, check for recalls if you haven't yet. You should be able to get the entire service history printed out for your Pathfinder - my local dealer was happy to oblige with mine.
  • Check out my LED interior conversion!
  • If you're still rockin' the stock sound system, do this tweeter mod, it'll make the tweeters come alive.
  • Are your seat belts slow at retracting, or don't retract by themselves at all? You can get them replaced for free! Read here.

Welcome to NPORA!

Edited by Towncivilian

It's a good idea to change the oil in the transfer case and differentials every now and then. The fuel filter is most likely fine and if the injectors start failing you should get a check engine light code. If you have the clunking sound, it is from worn out U-joints.

Thanks again. I will ask my mechanic to check the U -joints.

Nissan Matic C? I don't think that ever existed. 2002 R50s were spec'd for Matic D. I run Valvoline Maxlife in my trans without issue.

Change your fuel filter. It should help with the lack of power. Use an OEM one.

Here's a post of mine with some more suggestions:

Thank you for the suggestions. I put in A STP fuel injection cleaner about 3 days ago and today i feel that the power is their, I will also change my fuel filter. Is their any effect/harm in engine if you put Fuel Injector cleaner, so far its good i hope nothing will happen until I replace my Fuel filter.

Thank you guys for all the suggestion I almost sell my Pathy but now hopefully that nothing will happen again I can say I am a proud Pathfinder owner.

Welcome to NPORA!

[/quot

You shouldn't have any problem running fuel injector cleaner. I would suggest running something that has poly-ether amines (PEA) instead of STP which is mostly kerosene. PEA was developed by Chevron & BMW and leaves no deposits of its own after cleaning. Some examples are Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane. I don't know if these are available in Qatar, but if they are they are more effective than STP fuel injector cleaner.

You shouldn't have any problem running fuel injector cleaner. I would suggest running something that has poly-ether amines (PEA) instead of STP which is mostly kerosene. PEA was developed by Chevron & BMW and leaves no deposits of its own after cleaning. Some examples are Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane. I don't know if these are available in Qatar, but if they are they are more effective than STP fuel injector cleaner.

Thank you very much for the advice I will look for that, 1 of my concern is kicked between 1st gear and 2nd gear, at revs below 2k rpm their is weak or almost no kicked at all, but at high revs above 2k you can feel it. do i need to worry about this or it is just the torque, according to my friend its normal to all SUV's he called it the shifting shock.

I talked to one of nissan mechanic and I am disappointed to what he informed me,that the transmission needs overhauling.any thoughts?

Edited by qatcool

I also feel such a "kick" sometimes between 1 -> 2 shifting; it's noticeable, not awfully forceful, I believe it's normal. You can try draining & filling the transmission fluid again, since one exchange via the drain plug only changes about 1/3rd of the fluid.

Edited by Towncivilian

I also feel such a "kick" sometimes between 1 -> 2 shifting; it's noticeable, not awfully forceful, I believe it's normal. You can try draining & filling the transmission fluid again, since one exchange via the drain plug only changes about 1/3rd of the fluid.

Ok, nice to know that im not the only one feeling it. :suicide: , I'll let you know of any update. hopefully soon.

• 1 month later...

I am planning to do the regular change oil of the engine,replace oil filter and fuel filter. Planning also to change the oil in the transfer case and tranny hoping it will help with my problem with the kicked from 1st to 2nd gear. Do you have any idea with the additives for tranny oil "shudder fix from pubeguard"? Do u recommend this? Any symptoms for u joint problem. Coz there is a sound coming from behind "tog" especiallynwhen u step on the gas and release it. Please advice. Thanks.......

I assume you mean "Lubegard". Lubegard makes good products and their products are used by many transmission shops. I'd say try it, I've never heard of it doing any harm. I'd use one bottle of Lubegard Red to start with.

I assume you mean "Lubegard". Lubegard makes good products and their products are used by many transmission shops. I'd say try it, I've never heard of it doing any harm. I'd use one bottle of Lubegard Red to start with.

Yup lubegard, do you have also any advice for u joints? How about the kicked from 1st gear to 2nd gear? My last solution is to change the oil again in the tranny and transfer case, if it will not work, i don't know what to do.

Done doing scheduled change oil and filter. I replaced also the fuel filter, change the oil in transfer case and rare differentials. The kicked is still there, but as u say not awfully forceful, the vibration is still when I reach 100km/hr. I believed it's the u joint. I will observed in a couple of days and let u know.

• 2 years later...

In a previous post, someone mentioned that in the owners manual, Nissan does NOT recomend synthetic engine oil. I just looked it up and found this:

Mineral based or synthetic type oils may be

used in your NISSAN vehicle. These oils must

however, meet the API quality and SAE viscosity

ratings specified for your vehicle. Do not

mix mineral based and synthetic type oils in

the engine at the same time.