Another Doug Thorley header leak problem.

Tungsten

There is no stud in that spot so there is nothing I can do about that. I was wondering about that too because it looked loose but I touched that piece and it was tight against the metal piece.

• Like 1

take a picture from the bottom at the rear most exhaust port.

I know there is a bunch of IFS stuff in there but try to get the camera in there.

If it's cracked, chances are it won't be visible from the top.

I don't know if you guys saw my last post ^

I'm trying to help you.

In your last pic it doesn't look like the gasket is sitting tight against the header and engine.

it looks loose because the headers don't have a perfectly smooth flange. the exhaust tube sticks out past the flange and only the edge of the each exhaust tube actually seals around the exhaust port.

If it's cracked, 98% chance is on the underside of the rear most exhaust port. Check it carefully. it won't be visible from the top.

The VG30 block was used in different vehicles with different style flanges so that's why there are different locations for exhaust studs. I would think if you had an exhaust leak you would see black soot where it was leaking. Perhaps the flange surface is not square and not sealing properly with the exhaust gasket? You could remove the EGR tube, clean up the threads on both tube and header, apply anti-seize compound on it and reattach it back and see if that helps out.

I'm going to see what I can do about that EGR tube tomorrow. I don't think the big header flange is leaking but I will take a pic if I get a chance from the bottom. I already looked from that point of view and did not see any cracks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just inspected it again and did not find it to be leaking. I did however found the Y pipe flange was still leaking so patched that up and everything is quieter now. The other noise I have is spark knock and I will see what a new MAF sensor does there.

Ok tried that and still nothing. I'm suspecting the EGR valve to be a problem now. I will get the timing reset back to 15 BTDC and play with the EGR valve. Anyone still care for pictures under the headers?