Variable Valve Timing

All,

I posted a few weeks ago that my 03 Pathfinder (68K miles on it) was having some intermittent power issues. At random moments the car would have no power and would barely make it up to 40 MPH. After the last instance the Check Engine Light came on. The mechanic hooked it up and the code came back saying its the variable valve timing solenoid. $700 later I'm left guessing why these parts failed...I do a normal oil change every 3K miles...I drive the car daily...I don't tow anything...I don't beat on the car... so I'm just curious if any of you have had this happen to you.

Thanks.

$700? Yikes! The VVT solenoid is a $30 part. There are 2 of them on your engine and they just fail every once in a while. I've changed it out twice now. All you need is about 10 minutes and a wrench. Never go back to that mechanic again. He ripped you off. Also, next time pull the trouble code yourself (borrow one for free from Autozone), post the code here, and we could've told you that.

Um, the VVT solenoid is not $30. Try around $265 each retail. If both were having issues, you may want to keep a eye on your oil level. There have been some reports of oil consumption with the 3.5l. The valve timing sensors are a bit cheaper. Do you know what code it threw?

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Um, the VVT solenoid is not $30. Try around $265 each retail. If both were having issues, you may want to keep a eye on your oil level. There have been some reports of oil consumption with the 3.5l. The valve timing sensors are a bit cheaper. Do you know what code it threw?

Oh yeah, my bad. I read that too quickly. I was talking about the sensor and not the solenoid.

The sensor going bad throws code P1140 (right), and P1145 (left). The solenoid may throw code P1110 or P1111 (right), or P1135 or P1136 (left), depending on the malfunction.

I take back what I said about your mechanic, although if the part was $265, he still charged you $435 for labor. Was it a five and a half hour job? I don't know, I've never done that one.

I was a bit worried that the part where you are is only $30 vs the $176 per each unit I paid. I should mention that in the $700 bucks I paid it also included a full oil system flush and new synthetic oil put in.

My main concern here is that I stay on top of all of my mechanical maintenance and for this to go out made me wonder how much longer do I have on the car. I only have 68K on it and I plan on holding onto it for another 2-3 years. I'm guessing that this VVT solenoid isn't something that breaks often.

Maybe I'm paranoid about this but just curious what others experienced.

Thanks guys.

You had to replace BOTH solenoids? I'm not sure why they would have failed together, unless the mechanic was just replacing both because he was in there. You should have asked what the exact codes were.

As far as mileage goes, my '01 Pathfinder has 135K miles on it, and still going strong. Yours should last another 2-3 years easy!