2001 pathfinder shifter problem

bro_die

Since I got this pathfinder about a month now I took off the shifter right away because I have kids and

you can just shift without stepping on teh brake. Slowly I started thinking how to fix it and finaly today

found out wahts the problem. the old owner strapped down the lever that connects the soleniod so that it stays

unlocked. That wasnt even the problem if he looked carefully. The soleniod works fine the real problem is

that "maybe" theres a spring in the bottomr of that cylinder looking tube that is weak and it wont push the lever

all the way up when the shift knob is back on. Ill try my best to explian. Soleniod works fine locks and unlocks

the problem is that the button when you pressed to shift doesnt fully go back up. Is there a spring or some sort that

pushes it back up and is it accesible without fully pulling the whole thing apart? Has anyone exprienced this problem.

Maybe theres a spring under there that is too weak because the old owner thought it was the soleniod thats the problem and the

shifter was stuck and the springs compressed for years and years. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Difficult to grasp what you're saying. The shift button on the shift knob presses fine, but it doesn't fully extend after pressing? I'd imagine that there's some sort of spring in there - mine, if pressed in slowly, isn't quite smooth. Some grease would probably help it. But I digress.