Gauge Cluster backlight problems

spazman

I changed out my radio a couple of weeks ago with an aftermarket one. Now my backlights for the gauges, a/c don't work but the interior lights work just fine. Checked all the fuses inside and tried to get them to work by bypassing the dimmer switch. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure what the hell's going on and it's more of an annoyance to have to turn on the map light if I drive at night to see my speed/fuel levels/etc.

Finally figured it out, if anyone else has this problem you've blown the tail lamp fuse under the hood. Makes sense right? Somehow I missed it the first round of fuse checking.

Yep, happened to me too. After I installed my new head unit, tail lamp fuse blew. But mine would NOT stop popping them. Put in new fuse, turn key, nothing, check fuse, toast. Turns out that I had the Acc. power wire hangin out behind the dash, because the new head unit was always illuminated and did not use this wire to light it up when you turn on the lights. It had gotten up against the frame and was shorting that circuit (dash lights, tail lights and front marker lights) to ground. It was a foolish oversight on my part to leave that wire flopping around back there. Had to go back in and account for that wire.

:crossedwires:

Yeah I felt dumb because I don't drive at night much, just back and forth to work and got done late a coupel days after I did the swap and looked out and had a very confusing moment. My lights are on but something's not right... oh I can't see how fast I'm going?!? WTF! I left the orange ilumination wires untouched and I think they touched some bare metal to pop the fuse. Oh well, it's figured out now, couldn't find anything about it online becuase I was thinking maybe I wired it wrong. I guess you live and learn!