What the Clunk?

01KJRPath

1st Post!

Purchased an 01 Pathfinder with about 125K. Vehicle had a bad front end vibration and clunk prior to replacing the following. Tires, ball joints, inner & outer tie rods, control arms, struts, swaybar bushings & links, and strut mounts. The clunk still remains, it is actually worse, you can feel it through the steering wheel. I can hear it when I accelerate in 1st and also 1st to 2nd, sometimes in reverse. It also can happen over bumps, or when one tire is unweighted. Doesn't matter if I am going straight or turning. I am still getting a slight vibration at highway speeds after an balance & alignment.

The only thing I've read in the forum that didn't replace in the front are the rack bushings. I would not rule out a bad replacement part either, but I'd like to see what else might be an issue as I am new to the vehicle.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 96 pathy and when i got it i had to replace the strut mounts, but the upper bracket that holds the spring was worn too because it was rubbing....i also had one of the two bolts missing from my trans mount and the other was loose. that made a wonderful clunk!

hope you get it fixed

i have a 96 pathy and when i got it i had to replace the strut mounts, but the upper bracket that holds the spring was worn too because it was rubbing....i also had one of the two bolts missing from my trans mount and the other was loose. that made a wonderful clunk!

hope you get it fixed

I think I found the problem. I was reading multiple other forums when I ran across someone complaining of a clunk they could not find. Turned out to be a crossmember that wasn't fully tight. Upon checking the PO's records I found that the transmission had been serviced. I decided to check the subframe that the trans mounts to. Found 1 slightly loose bolt. Not knowing the torque spec I tightened it to 80 ft/lbs. Still the clunk persisted. Went for the gold and tighted to about 150ft/lbs and the clunk seems to be gone. I still get some odd noise in the rain and the vibration at speed comes and goes. Had the tires rebalanced and that seemed to help some. I can get the steering wheel to vibrate under braking. So I am wondering if one of the front rotors is warped or if one of the wheel bearings is bad.