Engine ticking...power valve screws?

vannaksao

Hey All,

Great site, I'm new here. Found out about this site from Nicoclub.com, another great site! Anyway, you'll have to excuse me if this topic/issue has already been address in another thread- I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

The R50 just hit 139k miles. About a month ago I replaced both belts, plugs, fuel and air filter. Just a few days ago I noticed that when I start up the car (it's now an average of 10 degrees outside at 6am EST) there is a clicking noise. It's not the drive belts. At first I thought it might be the "power valve screws" coming loose, but I think my engine would have blown up by now if it was that. I'm currently looking at the power steering pump pulley. It sounds like it's coming from that, or maybe an idler pulley.

At a cold start, the clicking is really frequent- corresponding to the engines rpms. Once the engine warms up, the clicking becomes less frequent. As I rev up the engine though, the clicking follows. Sometimes, the clicking is non-existent- sometimes I don' even hear it in the morning. I've attached a video link as a resource, hopefully you guys have successfully dealt with issue before.

Let me know if there is anything else you guys need for me to do to better assist. Here is the link to the video:

Engine ticking - Flickr.com

Edited by vannaksao

yea. I kind of think it's the idler pulley (on the alt & PS pump side). I took it off and spun it, and it does make a very light clicking noise. Under tension, I suppose this "light click" could magnify? Is it normal for the idler pulley to have a little click (under normal circumstances you wouldnt think anything of it), or is it suppose to be super smooth- without a single noise?

Thanks

The idler pulley should spin freely - when turning it slowly you will feel it br a little grabby or inconsistent if it is going bad usually, not a smooth running feel.

I wonder if it is the A/C clutch? See if it does that with the A/C or defrost and then not with everything off. Just trying to think of something that might be more intermittent...

Does your a/c switch on and off while it's making the noise? You would be able to tell by the front of the compressor spinning and then stopping when it switches off. The reason I ask,is that the noise sounds like an A/C compressor cycling on and off. You could also take the end of a long screwdriver, like previously recommended, and put one end (metal) on the idler pulley, and the other end (handle) against your ear. It will magnify the sound so you can isolate any noise the bearings are making in the pulley.

Edited by frozenrotors

Thanks for the suggestions and check points guys. I really don't think it's the a/c compressor and/or belt/pulley though. The A/C is completely off and it still makes that noise. It's coming from the otherside, the Alt/PS pump side. Pulley should be arriving soon.

Ok, so I just replaced the idler pulley, alt and sp side. The tick is still there, at >2k, but...car sounds amazing. I was so surprised at how much more quiet it is. Makes it actually sound like my car just came off the lot! Very quiet. Even though my problem is still there, by changing the idler pulley the car runs much more healthy, and now because the car is quieter I can better isolate that tick. I used a long screwdriver to my ear on a few components, but can't seem to find it. Intake sounds good, no strange noises so I think I'm safe for now from loose PV screws. It's coming from the bottom, like...around the alternator. Maybe the pulley on the alt is shot? Maybe my other idler pulley, on the A/C side? Might just swap the a/c side idler pulley anyway- solely based on the positive effects from changing the one I did tonight.

Edited by vannaksao