P1491 Code

97GSXAWD

Hi guys,

My truck tripped a check engine light two month ago. I went to Autozone and got them to give me the code. I think it was 1491, and I know it said EVAP Blockage or cleaning. So I went through NJ inspection expecting to fail, just want to know what code they will bring up. It came up P1491. The Inspection Station gave me a notice stating it could be

1. Recall NTB09-039 SB Nissan ; update to AT/CVT Terminology in Service manual

2. Recall NTB00-085A Evaporative (EVAP) Emission control system cleaning procedure for E…….

3. Recall NTB08-055 SRS Precautions during Service.

Now I know that P1491 is Vacuum Cut Valve Bypass Valve. I had set up an appointment with Nissan to get this fixed. I am going in tomorrow. When I spoke the Service guy, he had asked the mechanic what would need to be fixed. The Mechanic kept on telling me that my EGR valve would need to be replaced. When I look at the Service Bulletin for 1491, there is no mention of the EGR Valve. When I told the Mechanic the P 1491 is the Check valve the told me I was wrong and that it was the EGR valve and that the Codes the Inspection station stated may not be the same as the Nissan Codes. I have a feeling he does not know what he’s talking about and wanted to check with you guys first.

Here is my Vehicle Info

2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE Model.

Drew

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a month trying to narrow down the code. I didn't want to bring it in because I have heard about how expensive the diagnostics are when dealing with th vcv bypass valve. It ended up being the actual valve itself. It is a small white piece of plastic with 4 ports just to the left of the spare tire it sits on a small bracket. It costs an arm and a leg but much better than the k the dealership will charge. I know there is a way to test it with a 12 vt source and a pressure sensor but I don't remember how I did it. I think I followed the tsb.