Timing belt failure

swapdip

OK so about 2500 miles after replacing my timing belt, I was cruising at around 50mph and the truck just shut off, subsequent attempts to start it revealed no compression, like all of my drive belts were rotating but unusually quickly and it definitely sounded as if there was no compression in the engine. Also I didn't hear any knocking, bangs, pings, nothing, the truck just shut off and when i tried to restart it, all I heard was the noise of the starter, nothing grinding or banging. So I got it towed home and I pulled all the plugs, no damage to any of them, and I fished around in all cylinders with a tiny magnet and was unable to catch any little bits of metal. My plan is to take apart the front again and see what happened to the timing belt, replace it and patch everything up again and then do a compression test. Unfortunately this all happened when we are in the middle of a move (now we have to finish moving our furniture in the back of a Mazda 323)so I can't do any serious automotive work until next weekend, but my question is given the fact that I found no metal in the cylinders and I heard no alarming noises when the truck shut off, what is the likelihood that I managed to escape serious damage?

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, you probably have bent valves. It sounds like nothing is contacting because the contact has already been made. Once the valves are damaged, they dont typically continue to move(stuck, ect). Thats why you have that "freewheeling" sound when you crank it. Also, the chances of no damage when a belt breaks, is somewhere of 1000-1(if you really lucky that is). You can try an put a new belt on it, then test for compression with a gauge. This will ultimately give you your answer.