Please Help. 01 Pathfinder Catalyst Inefficiency

raypeg

Service engine soon light on 2 weeks ago, checked with a 50 bucks OBD2 scaner, P0430, thought might be a loosing gas cap, after 400 miles, light is back on. :wtf:

Got a friend work for Honda, with a SNAP ON scanner, just want to know what's exactely going on with my pathy, give me a code saying catalyst inefficiency.

My friend said there's too many reason for this code, just wondering is there any of you guys dealed with this before? And how much do I look for getting this fixed?

01, pathfinder, 120k miles

Thanks, really appreciate that :D

Edited by raypeg

Well, you might be in luck. There is a TSB for this problem. NTB02-087a was relased dealing with both P0420 and P0430. It recommends the ECM to be reprogrammed to a updated program. Unfortunatly, you have to go to the dealer.

Well, you might be in luck. There is a TSB for this problem. NTB02-087a was relased dealing with both P0420 and P0430. It recommends the ECM to be reprogrammed to a updated program. Unfortunatly, you have to go to the dealer.

So should this be a no cost trip to the dealer?

I've had this code going off on mine for over a year. Had it in at the dealer once and they said i needed to replace all of my cats..$1200 in parts they say. I opted to skip that one haha

Well, being that you are a 01, with 120,000 on it, you are well out of warranty. ECM reprograms can be covered under the emissions warranty, but thats 8 years, 80,000 miles. Sorry, you are out of warranty. Or there is a possiblity your ECM has already been reprogrammed. Unfortunatly, the only way to tell is to have the dealer scan tool (Consult) hooked up and tell you.

You could pitch a fit to the service manager and ask why the reprogramming wasnt done. I believe that TSB was released in 08. IF you were in after that, well, they could at least cut you a deal on the reprogramming(if it applies). You could go in and have the file pulled to see if the Consult printout is attached. On the printout is your ECM part number. You can cross reference that with those on the TSB.

• 2 weeks later...

update:

Still didn't have a chance to go to the dealer see the new ecu reprogramming working or not.

But, after 150 miles highway driving this afternoon, the SES went off by itself... anyone have any idea why?

gas cap? maybe, it never feels tight, I always stop screwing the cap after 10 click.