Roof Rack Using Existing Rails

SurfPath

I've got a 2003 R50 with factory rails and I'd like to add a roof rack so that I can transport loads (< 100-140 lbs), such as plywood sheets & 2 X 4's.

Other misc info that may be useful: got a moon-roof (does it matter?), and I'd prefer cross bars that I can transport fairly easily (in a large suitcase-duffel?) since I live in the out-islands and would prefer to fly them in with me.

Any nice roof racks out there that would fit my needs?

Edited by SurfPath

I've got the Yakima system on my rig which I love! I've tried using my factory bars but not as sturdy as the Yakima bars I replaced them with. Too much flex with the factory bars! I've added a cargo basket which is great for extra cargo!

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

I've got the Yakima system on my rig which I love! I've tried using my factory bars but not as sturdy as the Yakima bars I replaced them with. Too much flex with the factory bars! I've added a cargo basket which is great for extra cargo!

Nice set up! That's exactly what I'd like to get.

But, back to reality....I live in the caribbean. There are NO roof rack dealers here. Any rack that I ship here will be charged 100% duty and take months to arrive and about 2 days of work to clear. Basically, I need to fly with my rack.

So, no fancy heavy duty rack for me. But then again, I think I'll only need to transport light-ish loads such as a couple sheets of ply & a dozen 2 X 4's.

The last time I needed to bring home a load like that I just strapped the ply to the Pathy roof rails and tied down the 2 X 4's on top. Hey, maybe a sheet of ply is all I need...I don't need a roof rack after all!

But, seriously, I'd prefer something a little more versatile and permanent. If it looks good on the 2003 Pathfinder as well, that'd be great.

On the Thule site, one of the racks they recommended for the 2003 Path is the "Thule45050." Amazon has more to say, including a reviewer who said they had some difficulty installing it (!). Here is the link to the review on Amazon: My link

Any thoughts on this rack (or Thule Racks in general)??

Another option is the Yakima Railgrab rack.

Here's the link: My link.

and a photo of it installed...My link

What do you think? Does anybody have a pathfinder R50 with one of these on top? Post a photo if you do.

Thanks!

Here's my '03 SE with Yakima Railgrab towers, 58" bars, two bike mounts, and Loadwarrior basket. Works great!!! thumbsup.gif

PathySummerx109.jpg

Awesome Scott,

That you have it mounted on a 2003 Pathy made it even better.

A couple of related questions:

1) Did you consider any other rack (I was also considering the Yakima 'low rider')?My link.

2) Since I have to fly with my rack, I was hoping to get crossbars that would just fit my needs (carrying a kayak/the occasional lightish load of wood). A few minutes ago I took my not-so accurate office ruler and measured 36" between the rails with the rails themselves being 1.5" thick. The Yakima comes in a 48" and then 58" with nothing in-between. Do you think the 48" will be OK for me?

Cheers, and thanks again for the photo.

ps. I also intend to get a pair of crossbar pads (My link) so I can carry my kayak.

Awesome Scott,

That you have it mounted on a 2003 Pathy made it even better.

A couple of related questions:

1) Did you consider any other rack (I was also considering the Yakima 'low rider')?My link.

2) Since I have to fly with my rack, I was hoping to get crossbars that would just fit my needs (carrying a kayak/the occasional lightish load of wood). A few minutes ago I took my not-so accurate office ruler and measured 36" between the rails with the rails themselves being 1.5" thick. The Yakima comes in a 48" and then 58" with nothing in-between. Do you think the 48" will be OK for me?

Cheers, and thanks again for the photo.

ps. I also intend to get a pair of crossbar pads (My link) so I can carry my kayak.

I needed 58" bars, because I knew that I needed room for the basket and the two bikes. I think you can use 48" bars if they handle the load you want to carry. If you are carrying sheets of plywood for example, you'd want the longer bars so that you have room to tie the load down, etc.

There's nothing fancy about the Yakima load bars other than the plastic coating to prevent rust... and I think they price them the same for both lengths. My advice - FWIW - would be to get the longer bars. You can always cut them down with a hack saw if necessary. Remember, you can always cut some more off, but you can never cut any back on. blink.gif

Remember, you can always cut some more off, but you can never cut any back on. blink.gif

Again, good advice Scott. American Airlines checked luggage restriction is 62" (total LxWxH) so the 58" could be challenging to fly with. But, as you say, I could customize them with a saw before the trip back.

I'm also researching getting just the Yakima mounts and then making the crossbars down here. I suppose that could be another option.

Cheers.