Atf Change

vanuatoo

Hello

My car is going slowly to 60k mark and I'm going to to Automatic Transmission maintenance.

I don't live in US.

I've read that Dexron III/Mercon fluid can be used.

http://www.aral-lubricants.com/lubricants/com/automotive_lubricants/our_products/atf_55.html

Is this fluid OK?

Also should I change filter or not?

It's 2003 SE part-time 4x4.

nissan4parts.com says that if I change only fluid I will need pan gasket and drain plug gasket only.

What is the expected amount I'd have to add? The capacity is 8.5 liters with converter but I guess only 2/3 of that will be drained.

Hello

My car is going slowly to 60k mark and I'm going to to Automatic Transmission maintenance.

I don't live in US.

I've read that Dexron III/Mercon fluid can be used.

http://www.aral-lubricants.com/lubricants/com/automotive_lubricants/our_products/atf_55.html

Is this fluid OK?

Also should I change filter or not?

It's 2003 SE part-time 4x4.

nissan4parts.com says that if I change only fluid I will need pan gasket and drain plug gasket only.

What is the expected amount I'd have to add? The capacity is 8.5 liters with converter but I guess only 2/3 of that will be drained.

yes this fluid will work. As for the filter, I do not change the filter. I'm pretty sure I read the filter is good for the lifetime of the truck, unless of course, something is wrong with the trans and that it slips or something else. Then yes I would change the filter then. As for the gaskets, well I use the drain plug on my 01 pathy and there is not gasket..just a copper washer that does not need to be changed... so unless there is a drain plug gasket on the 2003, don't buy it.

As for the amount to put in, if your dipstick shows that you have the good amount in, then what you do, is that you use any kind of graded plastic container (at least 5 liters) and you let the trans drain in it from the drain plug. once it's drained, remember the number, then fill the same container to the same amount with fresh oil and put it back... That's what I do...

S.