Spare Tire Fit

Guest 02Path

We've got an 02 on lease and need to replace the tires. The lease explicitly says all 5 tires must be in good condition, same size and make. I want to go with 255/70 16's since there is more of a selection and better quality tires available than the original 255/65 16' size. Will the larger size spare fit underneath in the original location? It looks like it might but it will be tight. Just want to see if anyone else has done this before I do.

Thanks in advance.

it ought to fit fine, since the 255/70 is only about a 30" tire. My stock size was 265/70R15, which equates to a 30" tall tire, and it fits with room to spare. Of course, Nissan could have somehow changed the size of the spare tire area between my 97 and your 02 (unlikely, but who knows). Another thing to consider would be to get 265/70R16's. Those would be equivalent to 31x10.5's, and many people have stuffed those into the spare tire carrier under the trunk. That size would fit on your truck with a bit of rubbing at full lock. But if you have already decided on the 255/70's, then I would say that the spare would fit relatively easily. B)

as a Nissan sales person for 2 years, don't worry about the tires matching when you turn in the lease. I was a touch more scrutinous during my lease return inspections, but I'm not a car sales person at heart.... nonetheless, if your sales guy at the lease turn in at the dealership even notices that you have tires, now I'd be surprised! I realize that you have an inspection prior to that, but you will just get a cursory inspection of tread depth, not matching brand from main tires compared to spare. Most folks replace the 4 tires they've been driving on and never even lower the spare...

if you truly must replace your tires, do yourself a favor and only do the 4!!!!!!!!