Tie Rod diagnosis?

OldSlowReliable

So I got my 33's, and I badly need an alignment now....but the guys @ belle tire said I had a bad drivers side tie rod......but my alignment was perfect before and had NO signs of bad tie rods when I was working on it...so they refused to do an alignment, and said if they had to use any shims for the alignment it would cost around 120 bucks...

My mom's coworker (husband has a slightly lifted JGC and is a retired mechanic) claims belle tire ALWAYS says you have a damaged tie rod when asking for an alignment... and judging by what the clerk told me about the pricing, I have a feeling that they used this excuse to avoid having to fix the positive camber....

Now, during my lift, I checked the test thing, side to side for tie rods, top and bottom for bearing or w/e.....and I too felt the movement, BUT I also saw the power steering input rotating, and looked up to see the steering wheel moving too....which I know for a fact that my steering wheel after it locks, has about an inch of movement from side to side, as was being displayed with the TRE test...

After thinking through all this, imo they mis-diagnosed or didn't want to put the effort forth (just like they said they would trim my flares, but didn't in the end)

I'd prefer not to have to replace a TRE, but should I just go to firestone and buy the 130 dollar lifetime alignment and see what they say?

oh well....went to sears to try and get the alignment, without me telling them about the belle tire diagnosis, they too claim my outer TRE on the drivers side is bad, and said they would order the part and install it if I come back tomorrow (couldn't source one today)

I would fix it for 20 bucks, but the classic mom makes the rules, I pay the bills <_< and she considers the TRE too important for me to do

Tell her you'll replace it yourself and take her to dinner with the money you save (that is, if you make it there). :D

Lol....I looked @ the sears site for pricing, and I saw two different TRE, moog and OE, 49 and 10....I hope they shoot for the 10....

Ah well....typical junk (If it worked that way, I would be riding on a nice CHEAP set of retreaded M/T)