Is my new pathfiner is normal ?

Guest notilas

Guest notilas

3 days ago, I spent $28,000 to buy a new 2004 Pathfinder.

The engine was really powerful and showed very quick response, but what I am concerned is the engine noise.

I drove Rx330 and Kia sorrento couple of times, but the noise from Pathfinder was a lot higher than those two cars.

When I step on the accel, I hease some engine sounds like a small truck. Actually, I expected some noises from SUV, but I didn't expect that much....

I guess the level of noise is between sedan and truck(about middle of them), if Rx330 is closer to a sedan.

I just worry I have received a wrong car from the dealer. Actually from the beginning the air-conditioner was broken, so I fixed it on the first day I have purchased it

Another question is 4x and 2x. I don't feel any difference between 2x and 4x, even I switch between them. And it consumes lots of gass, I drove 80miles, but the gas is already 2/3. so I even suppose my car is always running with 4x !!.

Is this normal?

Please help me.

Thanks.

New???? Well my 2001 dosn't make alot of noise....it sounds like your car was made on a friday....just kidding....I couldn't help you much with the 4 wheel drive question b/c I only have 2 wheel drive, but at far as gas consumtion I average 150 to 180 at half a tank....and anywhere from 300 to 350 on "E"...this breaks down to about 17 to 18 mpg's....I have actually reached 21 mpgs a couple of times if I watch my driving and the way I shift.

Well, Lexus' are supposed to be extremely quiet, they are luxury vehicles. And I dont think the Kia has enough "oomph" to really make any noise. I think the engine noise is normal, though I have the 3.3 so I can't say for sure. As for the 4wd question, are you referring to the All wheel drive mode or the part time 4wd? If the former, then you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference on dry pavement, just in slippery conditions. If the latter, then you should notice an increased steering effort, like the truck doesn't really want to turn. Also, you should not use the part time 4wd on dry pavement, it will mess up your drivetrain. As for gas, you should leave it in 2wd if you want to conserve some. Any time you're in 4wd/awd, you will use considerably more gas. B)

Guest notilas

Thanks for kind comments.

Today I visited the dealer again and drove another Pathfinder.

The engine nosie of my path seems normal.

I am quite satisfied with my vehicle though the engine sound was larger than I expected. Actually, I have received 3250 rebate from the dealer when I buy it, so I think it is not a bad deal. I paid $27,000 including tax with 800 dollar option.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

The engine was really powerful and showed very quick response,

Man, I am so jeleous of you guys with the 240 HP 3.5-liter. :(

Here in Australia they never gave us that engine. We still get the 3.3 version that only generates about half that much power. :shrug:

Nissan Australia are a pack of bastards. :angry: