Not to beat the manual hub dead horse, but...

Okay, I've done some in depth reading on this forum regarding the installation of manual hubs. I need a wee bit of clarification on a few points before I do this upgrade...

Background..

I have a '99 Pathfinder with the solid flanges, instead of auto or manual hubs. When replacing my front brake pads the other day, I had an epiphany in that I learned my front axles are constantly engaged. My immediate thought was about how much fuel I'm pissing away by spinning all of this drivetrain equipment, and how much needless wear is occurring to these components as well. I know, I know, I've read that the MPG increase is negligible, and that the decrease in wear doesn't really matter, but I WANT IT!!! I imagine an extra horsepower or two will be gained by not having to spin all that crap, too. My Pathy is a gutless wonder, so that'll be very welcome.

The Questions

- Firstly, I've read mention of the potential destruction of "auto-mode", or "all-mode" xfer cases by going to manually locking hubs. My R50 has a floor mounted shifty-lever. No switches or knobs to go into 4WD. Is my Xfer case at risk if I do this upgrade?

- Besides having to get out an manually lock the hubs when needed (which, admittedly, is less and less these days) what are the downsides to this upgrade? Any pitfalls, or risks?

- I used Warn hubs on my old '94 Hardbody, and will use them again for my Pathy if this upgrade is safe to do. So, what is the Warn part number I'd need to order?

- Will the hubs physically fit with my stock Nissan rims (see picture below)

Thanks so much for helping me out with my questions!

dadandpathy.JPG

Edited by MartiniHenry

• Firstly, I've read mention of the potential destruction of "auto-mode", or "all-mode" xfer cases by going to manually locking hubs. My R50 has a floor mounted shifty-lever. No switches or knobs to go into 4WD. Is my Xfer case at risk if I do this upgrade?

Nope. You're good to go!!

• Besides having to get out an manually lock the hubs when needed (which, admittedly, is less and less these days) what are the downsides to this upgrade? Any pitfalls, or risks?

That's pretty much it. Maybe some additional maintenance to the hubs, especially if you wheel in a lot of water.

• I used Warn hubs on my old '94 Hardbody, and will use them again for my Pathy if this upgrade is safe to do. So, what is the Warn part number I'd need to order?

Same part # 29091

http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/premium_app...ion_chart.shtml

• Will the hubs physically fit with my stock Nissan rims (see picture below)

I cant tell for sure, but they look like the same wheels I have (my stockers), and they fit fine.

(link to pic of my stock wheels: CLICK HERE)

Excellent! Thanks for the very great news! I'm off to go spend some money now! Sorry for the not so good picture, here's another one...

post-4984-1236545373_thumb.jpg

...it does look to be the same one as yours.

Will advise how the upgrade goes! Thanks for the assistance!

Just ordered 'em from amazon.com, as they seem to have the best price I could find...US $165.65 with free shipping. Substantially more expensive than what I remember paying for the ones I installed on my old Hardbody pickup. Egad.

That's so awesome that you guys were able to confirm they fit with the factory rims, and it's an added bonus that the plastic caps will fit over them. I'd venture it wouldn't look very good with the manual hubs sticking out (rest assured, I'll give it a shot first though!)

Thanks again!

Edited by MartiniHenry