98 pathfinder le

eric69

Hi all, this is my first post.. have been lurking for a while but decided this would be a good time to join. I have a 98 pathfinder le with about 210000 miles on it. I went into town and got gas and it started missing slightly. After getting gas it continued to get worse to the point of becoming undrivable. I let it sit overnight and it started the next morning like nothing was wrong. As soon as it starts getting warm it starts missing, and the longer the drive it the worse it gets. If you dont hold the throttle it will die at idle. Got home left it sit until the next morning and once again fired right up like nothing is wrong. Took to a shop where I used to work and put scanner on it, comes up with knock sensor problem and crank position cog sensor problem. Does this sound like a crank sensor? Where is the crank sensor? I installed new plugs(yes all 6 lol) and new fuel filter, disconnected 02 sensors,water temp sensor, checked injectors with noid light, fuel pressure is 38 at idle, also blocked return line to raise pressure made no difference. Also on the scanner when watching 02 sensors they all stay low, like below 180, very little movement, and all say lean lean lean. I sprayed gas into the throttle body while it was running very poorly and then it runs much better. It is obviously lean but what could be causing this? It seems to be an "electrical" problem.

What are the actual codes? If you post the numerical codes, then you will get a lot more help from this forum.

I had to replace the crank position sensor on my '97 recently. It is located on the tranny bellhousing, just behind the junction of the engine block and tranny bellhousing. It took me about 45 minutes before I could even see or touch the sensor. It is very tough to get to. I had to remove the front driveshaft and transmission crossmember before I could even touch it with my fingertips. I had to do the entire job "by feel".

That being said, that crank position sensor is only used to diagnose misfires, not to trigger the ignition.

Get the actual codes first, before changing any parts. It will save you a lot of time and money. If the truck still runs, take it to Autozone - they will scan the codes for free and give you a printout of each one.

SteveM.

• 2 weeks later...