on board welders

glenn

Do any of you guys have any experience with on-board welders, or maybe know someone who has ? Which ones are good? I know there are a few on the market but hard to evaluate based on web site claims. Also, how many amp alternator do you really need to do stick- weld repairs in the field ? Thanks much !! - glenn

READY WELDER:

This is an older thread, so I dont know if the discount still applies, but the ready welder is great to have on the truck & on the trail: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16853

I actually picked up a Ready Welder for Simon for his birthday last year. He's used it at home a couple times, and has had no complaints. It has also come in handy on the trail once. Simon's review on another board:

Pezzy bought me a Ready Welder as an early birthday present, as she'd seen one work before, and I wanted to replace my crappy 110v Mastercraft welder. It is a DC current wire feed welder, capable of welding with gas, or flux core wire. It can run from 12v (very thin sheet metal) to 36v (3/4" single pass) using 12 and 6 volt batteries wired in parallel. It uses standard 1 or 2lb wire spools, in anything from .023 to .040 wire thickness without changing rollers.

I'd used it to fix a lawn roller for a neighbor, and weld on my hi lift mounts on my bumper, but it got an opportunity to show it's true worth on the weekend during the Crystal Lake trail run.

Here's a vid of the welder in use, using 2 car batteries. (The combination wire speed/heat control knob was about halfway)

" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

Here's a pic of the finished trail fix. Got Scotto through the trail (well, as far as we got) and all the way home to Fergus

DSC03359.jpg

The Ready Welder, in base form, is available for approximately $535CDN from a Canadian reseller. For anyone who wants to do some heavier welding, without the cost of a 240v welder, and 240v hookup in the shop or garage, this is an excellent tool for you. Not to mention the day saving portability it provides on the trail.

Vid by TrailChaser:

" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

and HEY, didnt you already ask this?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12317

I suppose I could ask for a little patience on this one. I'm still trying to figure out how many amp alt I need, and since it was 2 years ago I was hoping there might be some new members with a fresh perspective.