DOH, cracked exhaust manifold. Replacement help?

Jetmugg

Okay, I've got a '97 pathfinder.

Well, after living with a noticeable exhaust leak that sounded like it's coming from the passenger's side (US Spec) exhaust manifild, I finally pulled the heat shield off the manifold. The manifold is cracked between the 2nd and 3rd cylinders on that side.

I managed to get the heat shield loose, but cannot get the shield out of the engine compartment (yet). It looks like I will have to remove the alternator in order for the heat shield to come out. I will be replacing the passenger's side manifold over the next few days, but could use a little guidance with respect to the best way to proceed.

Should I unbolt the catalytic converter from the exhaust pipe at the bottom of the cat, and then try to remove the cat along with the manifold out the top side of the engine compartment?

Should I remove the heat shield from the cat and then unbolt the cat from the exhaust manifold, then pull the manifold out the top side? I have 5 of the 6 heat shield bolts (on the cat) removed, but the 6th one seems VERY difficult to get to, almost up against the firewall.

Or does the assembly (manifold and cat) go out the bottom side?

Anyone who has successfully replaced the passenger's side exhaust manifold on an R50 Pathy - please share your experience with me, so I can make this job as easy as possible.

Thank You,

SteveM.