speed sensor swap?

ChiefBaldEagle

the PO swapped the trans (5spM/T) they put in a trans with an electronic sensor but I have a mech speedo. can I swap this out or would it be better to just buy an Aftermarket elec speedo. I just watch my tach now for speed info but having a cruise control would be nice (especially for us old lazy folks) they also snafu'd all of the wiring connections (4wd light would come on when I put it in rev) still working on that but would like to resolve the speedo problem while I'm laying around under it. Could it be as simple as swapping out the sensor? :scratchhead:

the PO swapped the trans (5spM/T) they put in a trans with an electronic sensor but I have a mech speedo. can I swap this out or would it be better to just buy an Aftermarket elec speedo. I just watch my tach now for speed info but having a cruise control would be nice (especially for us old lazy folks) they also snafu'd all of the wiring connections (4wd light would come on when I put it in rev) still working on that but would like to resolve the speedo problem while I'm laying around under it. Could it be as simple as swapping out the sensor? :scratchhead:

I did the auto to manual conversion on a WD21. I just swapped the sensor for the manual speedo in the auto for the electronic one in the newer 5speed. As far as the 4wd sensor goes, they just crossed the wires. If you search for the threads on here for auto to manual swap, you can find the wiring guide for an R50. Between that guide and a chiltons, you should be able to figure it out. If not, let me know and I'll go out there and look. It's like 20 degrees F and I'd rather not right now.

Good luck!

I remember the speed sensor having one bolt holding it in and don't pull on the mechanical sensor cable too hard or it will pull from the back of the speedo. You don't want to pull apart the dash and try and do this.

thanks. I was under there looking while I was replacing ex gasket found the sensor but I don't see a bolt - found the hole though. didn't look too close hope they didn't break it off and could't get the sensor out. at least I know that it is a simple swap-out. don't get out in the cold - my garage isn't heated so I know what it is like.