Tranmission Pan Gasket

lyzic

So I changed my tranny fluid and dropped the pan. Changed the filter, cleaned out the pan and the magnet.

I scraped off the old gasket, and installed a cork one, the only one I could find because the first parts store sold me the wrong one.

Drove around town, no problems.

However I left on my roadtrip and then noticed that my transmission was leaking in a big way. Lost a liter or so in a couple liters, enough that when I stopped it'd drip, and my back window was covered in tranny fluid.

Problem is I am thinking I overtightened the cork gasket. I haven't been able to find anyone on this site talking about the cork gaskets, so I'm unsure on how tight I should of tightened it.

I assume it's overtightened, because I am used to the rubber gaskets. It was leaking more out of the side I originally thought was tight. I tightened up the other side pretty snug, and it started to leak a lot more.

I didn't have a torque wrench so I'm unsure exactly how tight they are.

Anyone have any advice? Can I back the bolts off and it'll fix itself? I read that cork gaskets soak up some oil and swell to complete the seal, maybe this'll work?

Or is this gasket cooked since I overtightened it?

Any advice is truly appreciated.