95 Engine Gremlin

G'Day Folks,

I'm actually writing this post on behalf of my brother-in-law, who actually owns the sick beasty in question. He has a 3L 95 Pathy with an obscure problem. The truck will start OK (sometimes a few turns to get her going, but seems to fire smoothly).

It will then come up to idle and be fine idling for, oh, about 45 secs. The she starts to sputter and spit, and will eventually cough out, regardless of how much right foot you give her. He has recently replaced the alternator and had the battery tested. On odd occasions, he can actually get it to run like a kitten and has driven it as far as 20 miles once, but then the same issue surfaces. We both have a mind to call it a fuel delivery issue, but we're both to cheap to buy the tool necessary to diagnose fuel-pump pressure. In addition he has changed the fuel filter, and tried it without the air-filter installed installed. We're both fairly handy when it comes to vehicles (him more-so than I), and have chalked it up to the fuel-pump, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else had had the same the issue, and if there's a cheap fix for it.

Oh, and I have checked the self-diagnostic LED's under the passenger seat, and it tells me 'All is well'....go figure.

G'Day Folks,

I'm actually writing this post on behalf of my brother-in-law, who actually owns the sick beasty in question. He has a 3L 95 Pathy with an obscure problem. The truck will start OK (sometimes a few turns to get her going, but seems to fire smoothly).

It will then come up to idle and be fine idling for, oh, about 45 secs. The she starts to sputter and spit, and will eventually cough out, regardless of how much right foot you give her. He has recently replaced the alternator and had the battery tested. On odd occasions, he can actually get it to run like a kitten and has driven it as far as 20 miles once, but then the same issue surfaces. We both have a mind to call it a fuel delivery issue, but we're both to cheap to buy the tool necessary to diagnose fuel-pump pressure. In addition he has changed the fuel filter, and tried it without the air-filter installed installed. We're both fairly handy when it comes to vehicles (him more-so than I), and have chalked it up to the fuel-pump, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else had had the same the issue, and if there's a cheap fix for it.

Oh, and I have checked the self-diagnostic LED's under the passenger seat, and it tells me 'All is well'....go figure.

Your coolant temp sensor (or the wiring to it) has probably died.

But if you're too cheap to spend the $10 for a fuel pressure gauge, you're probably going to be too cheap to replace that. I advise you to sell the truck and get something that's "cheap" enough for you two to work on. :P :tonguefinger:

i'd sat fuel delivery. take the fuel lines off at the valve cover, turn the ignition on (have a cup to catch the gas) .. if the gas continues to pump with just the iggy on yer ok