Fathers 1995 Jeep Grand Cheroke Larado

Kittamaru

Yeah... my fathers 1995 JGC Larado (however the crud ye spell it) has no radio... antenna comes up, lights go on, and there's no sound. I checked the fuses in both boxes, they're good. My only thought now is bad speakers... but all EIGHT? Yes, eight... damn thing has two in the dash, one in each of the four doors, and two in the rear hatch! None of em even buzz when the system is on... is there like, a set of inline fuses or something?

The thing DID get some water inside after he... left... the windows down during a thunderstorm... look, I never said he was the brightest bulb in the pack :P But yeah, the onboard computer was soaked, though it works and I doubt it has anything to do with the radio... could somewhere else have gotten wet? Could the speakers be burnt out? I need ideas because for some reason he thinks I can find and/or fix the problem... when in reality I don't have too much more of an idea than anyone else that turns the system on and gets no sound *shrugs* After all, that Jeep is NOT my Pathy XD Least I know something about Shiela...

Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mate, like I said, I'm kind of desperate for an answer so he'll get off my back. I know there's a few guys here great with electrical stuff, so I figured I'd take my chances :)

So that thing IS the amp... goddamn...

I take it the next step would be bring it in to have the amp replaced... fudge.

Why is it when I looked that thing up online it said the OBD1 system was under the back seat? And I thought most amps were located in the trunk anyway *shrugs*

Aighty, thanks for the info GhostPath

So that thing IS the amp... goddamn...

I take it the next step would be bring it in to have the amp replaced... fudge.

Why is it when I looked that thing up online it said the OBD1 system was under the back seat? And I thought most amps were located in the trunk anyway *shrugs*

Aighty, thanks for the info GhostPath

The Heap doesn't have a trunk, so it has to be located somewhere else out of the way. They get credit for not burying it under the interior cladding like Nissan did, but obviously their approach has bad points too - as you have just found out.

The ECU on that Heap is in the engine bay. You read that right, it's exposed to the elements in the engine bay. Brilliant, huh? Partially explains why ECU replacement is considered normal on domestics and why it's so rare on imports...

I would suggest getting a used amp out of a dead Heap or off eBay first - it's entirely possible that the amp shorted out and backfed into the head unit. If that's the case, you get to replace *all* of the audio system electronics.

Now, get that Heap out of our garage! :P

Rest of the radio works, just no sound *shrugs*

Thanks for the help mate... and yes, it is a Heap... Heaping Pile of Sh*t in my opinion... clutch squeals like a pig and the thing sucks in torque... 'corrding to our mechanic, it's all good and normal for it *laugh*