Steering Problems with 35's

Biosphere

I'm having problems running 35's. I have a heim steering upgrade that I built. Its nice and tight but I keep eating up idler arms. I replaced the idle arm shaft with a 3/4" grade 9 bolt and I broke the base plate for the idler. Should I build the base plate with 1/2 inch plate steel and then weld the 3/4 bolt to the plate and put gusits to reinforce it? The picture with the idler arm on the vehicle is a stock idler. The last idler, I bent the shaft and cracked the plastic bushings. So I put a 3/4 bolt instead with brass bushings inside the stock idler and then I cracked the base plate like the first picture. This idler broke when I was pulling a car through a foot of snow.

www.rmvoc.ca/gallery/index.html

Edited by Biosphere

It looks like aren't using an idler arm brace? That would solve most if not all of your movement. With out the brace, even 31's will eat Idler arms when wheeling.

Using the grade 9 bolt in place of the shaft, you are moving around your weak spot. Maybe not be best to do when it comes to steering? If you continue to use the bolt and then beef up the mounting plate, it could work, but then you might be transferring to another weak spot and could find yourself sleeving the frame because the bolts holding on plate are pulling, etc, etc.

I'd put the stock shaft back in, use the brace and monitor the movement.

I know the Moog arms bend quite easily. I bent mine doing a snatch recovery out of a ditch.