Lf Wheel Bearing Play

I have a couple of ?'s regarding wheel bearings. I have a little play in the LF not alot just a little. is this somthing I need to worry about right away or somthing I can wait a little on. I dont know if the wheel bearings have ever been repacked/replaced in the 130,000 that are on my 97 pathy. is this somthing I can tackle on my own or should I take it to the dealer?

also on a side note I was following by Buddy up a rutted sandy trail running pretty hard and I got front wheel hop. what if anything could I have damaged by this wheel hop? I am also concerened that I may have hurt my bone stock pathfinder as I ran pretty hard trying to keep up and bottomed the front suspension on several occasions.

Thank's

There are a couple of possibilities here.

First repacking and fresh grease is a must! You can google how to repack bearings, removing them is sort of a pain in the arse...it is just that it is well worth it!

"Project Pathfinder" This should be super helpful, but use this page also to see your stock hubs !

The the possiblity is that you may have a damaged ball joint that is nt holding things properly!

So, if the wheel rocks while it is on the ground it could be either a loose wheel bearing or 1 or 2 bad ball joints.

Edited by 98silverpathy

Not sure about your 97, but the 90-95 front bearing could be adjusted. Just had to take the hub off, remove two set screws that hold the retainer nut from turning (this looks like round washers with 10 or 12 oles around it), adjust the retainer nut. Don't tighten too much tho, just enough to take up the loose and so the wheel turns freely. Definately I would repack if it's not a sealed bearing.

I got the inner seals for both front hubs today, also a bearing packer from Baxster auto parts (it a chep 7.00 plastic packer) but should work. I will probably do this next weekend or the weekend after. I am planing on useing Redline CV-2 cv joint/ wheelbearing grease. is this ok or should I use somthing different? also I did some looking around and cant seem to find the right 2 pronged tool for tightening the bearings. where can I get one?

After driving the pathfinder around after I spent 3 hours with the pressure washer cleaining the undercarrage It seems that I did not hurt my pathfinder by running it hard on the trails last night. I get so paranoid about hurting this thing but it seems to just take it and ask for more. I love this rig.

thanks for the advise

I used a small flat screw driver and tapped it around to tighten mine last time. Not the perfect tool, but it worked in a pinch. As for grease, I would use regular wheelbearing grease or high pressure grease. CV grease might not be heavy enough for a bearing. Someone might be able to ad to this as I'm not 100% sure.

Denis

I used a small flat screw driver and tapped it around to tighten mine last time. Not the perfect tool, but it worked in a pinch. As for grease, I would use regular wheelbearing grease or high pressure grease. CV grease might not be heavy enough for a bearing. Someone might be able to ad to this as I'm not 100% sure.

Denis

The redline CV-2 is a high pressure grease. I used it on my 944 Porshe's wheelbearings and the wheelbearings were great when I sold it. If I cant get the propper tool I think I will take it to the Stealership. I need to ask the tech's @ work if they can do it before I take it to the Nissan dealer as I work for a Chevy, Pontiac, Cadilac, Mercedes, Mazda, Subaru dealership. I wish we sold Nissan too as I would love to have a New Nismo Frontier parked next to the pathfinder in the driveway, and service would be considerably cheaper too.